Progressive Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is your Landy undergoing 'Progressive Restoration'?
Yes - I'm poor and a little confused about these engine things...
78%
 78%  [ 15 ]
No - I'm above all that and do the job properly....
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 19

adrian
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi
i`m neather of them in the no money but fond a good engine cheep (2.6 for 80 for every thing including rad) because if you do a job do it right furst time as a bodge always lets you down.
i could call my self a hobby macanic lerning fast
that wont say i cant do that.
all the best
adrian
ditch rat
Really Should Get Out More
Really Should Get Out More

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
well i have re-built my series 3, now i only tend to service and keep that one in good order.but doing that was a learning curve i had never taken a engine apart before the next thing you know its on the bench in bits going for rebore and cranck re-ground Rolling Eyes and the good part i did'nt have any bits left over afterwards Very Happy mind i have a 110 csw to do a bit of a rolling restoration on all good fun and who wants a car that has only been around for a couple of years when you can buy one thats been around for 20 or more Wink

nick
The Bouncin' Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The whole 'engine apart' thing is rearing it's ugly head - new cam shaft is needed in the V8 and the water pump seems to have sprung a leak too.....

Will it ever end Question Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
madmort

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Took the old girl out for her first run since the MOT today... She's tired... looks like a new engine or complete rebuild is required and since the engine's already done 180'000 its really not worth the effort... Sad So now on the hunt for a good engine...

Bit of an anticlimax after all the work thats been done but then it can't be really helped... took a risk fitting a really unknown engine and I'm sure the recent damage from over revving and so on hasn't helped matters... Rolling Eyes

I only took her down the road and as I turned her round to come back a police car passed with the driver giving a quick glance... I think if he'd seen the smoke it might have been a different story Shocked Laughing

Ah well... this is what we have to suffer to enjoy our motors... Very Happy
The Bouncin' Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll keep an eye for you Matey - the local scrapper usually has some interesting stuff laid around - I might yet turn you up a decent engine Wink
madmort

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flippin eck mate cheers... Very Happy

By the way we're running out of tea bags Rolling Eyes Just so you know for next time your over Wink

An I tried eating my hat as suggested but I chipped a tooth on the buckle so had to give up Embarassed sorry bout that...
Robbo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
..my main problem (well one of many actually Embarassed ) is that I read the landy mags (strange finding pics of BB springing up Laughing !)...and then I get ideas from the fix-it bits in the back, I think to my self -well that doesn't look to hard- and then I have ago...hmmmm Embarassed ....then come on here and ask for help...ta very much fellow self made mechanics Cool

If God stopped caring then you really would be stuffed...
EJParrott
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Robbo wrote:
..my main problem (well one of many actually Embarassed ) is that I read the landy mags (strange finding pics of BB springing up Laughing !)...and then I get ideas from the fix-it bits in the back, I think to my self -well that doesn't look to hard- and then I have ago...hmmmm Embarassed ....then come on here and ask for help...ta very much fellow self made mechanics Cool

so ture, i know exactly where you're coming from. Thing is though, i need to get my 88 on the road and legal, which means putting all back together Exclamation im acctually just taking a break from putting in the replacement diesel engine.

before i've even done this ive been reading things like LRM's rebuild of OLO and thinking how great it would be to do a complete rebuild, and then go hunting though the ads to find prices for this.....THEN..... i read on and think, 'o, that would be nice in the 88...' im mean, whats more important? paying the mortgage or playing with landys..... Question no real contest i know Exclamation Exclamation Question Question Cool Cool Embarassed
1970 SIIa/SIII LWB Station Wagon
1971 SIII LWB 5-dr Commercial
2006 Honda VT750 C Shadow

Membership No. 5417
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: