Stage One, Series Land Rover,fuel problem??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Any Stage ones near to M1 J22?
Please e-mail me,& / or send a photo of your stage 1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Or please post your Stage 1 pics to this site.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

EXMUNSTER
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Stage One, Series Land Rover,fuel problem?? Reply with quote
Hi,I have a Stage 1 Land Rover, on a W plate,.... but first registered on 01-01-1988,(I know this is irellevant..but wierd??).

I have an 'unusual problem' which I cannot work out,My Stage 1 fires up fine...with no pedal,just choke out. And 'sometimes' runs fine,untill I take a sharp right hand corner,such as a roundabout...... then it seems to suddenly drop about FOUR cylinders,and struggles to pull even 20mph!! Even tho' I used to work on these engines in the RCT...then I had a servicing Schedule,and a 'bible' to follow!
Any ideas on 'what it is' or how to cure it... would be greatly appreciatted!,Also could anyone post the lead order of the HT leads to the distributor cap? as I have found a few different orders...and need to know the right plug lead position,if anyone could fill in the missing gaps it would be greatly appreciatted! Thank you..
Also is there anyone in the East Midlands,who has a Stage 1,that i could 'compare to?',as this would greatly help me out. exmunster via aol.com
chuggernought
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi, i'm in derby and dont have a stage 1 but do have a large collection of v8's in other motors mostly carb fed, and the gear to set them up. pm me if you want to come over and have a chat.
what carbs are you running? origonal strombergs, or the far better s.u's? if its s.u's the float heights could need setting. if its strombergs the diapragm's are prone to splitting. by your description i would expect fuel problems with the carbs, maybe not enough fuel in the carb bowels.
the origonal stage 1's had restrictor plates in between the carbs and manifold to restrict the power, most have had these taken out but some are still fitted, worth taking out, it gives you the proper power you would expect from a v8 and a bit more mpg. they were fitted cause it was thought the drum brakes were not good enough for the power. these plates are basically 3 or 4 holes drilled into a plate and can gum up and cause odd running problems.
1985 rangerover/dakar v8(as yet unnamed)
1977 101 fc ambi v8 (mr boxy)
100" v8 hybrid (roargasm)
1949 series 1
daimler 4.0l(old smoothy)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Engines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: