Ever seen one of these beasts before - Pinzgauer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // All Ex Military Vehicles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellebarto
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Ever seen one of these beasts before - Pinzgauer Reply with quote
One of the new guys coming out with us recently turned up with his mate in 4 wheel and 6 wheeled Pinzgauer’s.

Now that’s an interesting beast although it looked pretty unstable on Pheasant steps and the V Gulley.

Don't think I will be trading in my Landy quite yet!

http://youtu.be/hd7DmGBaNzQ
chuggernought
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i believe they were the replacement for the 101 forward control, very capable but i think the 101 was a better vehicle, plus parts stock is very interchangable with standard landrovers of the day. i would think parts for a pinz are a nightmare to find.
shame landrover didnt manage to perfect the llama project or the army would have probably bought that as a replacment instead.
1985 rangerover/dakar v8(as yet unnamed)
1977 101 fc ambi v8 (mr boxy)
100" v8 hybrid (roargasm)
1949 series 1
daimler 4.0l(old smoothy)
Nige P
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Steyr-Daimler-Puch manufactured these, although latterly BAe systems took over the rights. They come in a few military guises in the UK. The 710 (2 axle) is primarily a gun tractor for the 105mm Light Gun. There are a few 712 (3 axle) versions. One is an Ambulance, there is a Troop Carrier (TCV) coded Vector. All have been withdrawn from service (I think) in Afghanistan, as they weren't as IED proof as first thought. They still blat about in other theatres though.

I can't see your You Tube as I'm at work. However, the Pinzys are very capable vehicles and will in most respects show up a Land Rover. They do look top heavy, but then so is a Land Rover. I believe side slope angle limits are the same.

Chuggers, as much as I would have liked LR to have continued with the 101, the Pinz is a far more economic and agile option. There are even ICOM vehicles just like the VAMPIREs as well.

Nige

100" of pure TD5 pleasure

Member No. 3220
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // All Ex Military Vehicles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum