Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // All Ex Military Vehicles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomTom
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and was after some advice. I am looking at buying an ex mil (probably a 90 or 110 hard top) as a weekend toy / tow vehicle for a horse trailer. Ideally I want something I can get MOT'd and on the road relatively quickly, and can then carry out a rolling restoration as needed.

Just after some advice on what to go for, or look out for before I start the hunt.

Thanks
Smile
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the chassis and bulkhead as both are prone to rust. However, military Landies usually have very good chassis' unless you find one that was used in a salt water environment. The trim is more basic with very little insulation or sound proofing unless it is winterised. Most are well maintained but may have had a hard life.

Most will have a 2.5 litre 4c diesel. Very slow but reliable. You can get a Wolf Defender with a 300Tdi engine but these fetch a considerable amount more. You may also have a recon engine fitted on either vehicle.

Others with their experiences will be along soon... Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Nige P
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rich has covered most things. Don't forget that the electrics may be quite a bit different to what appears in a Haynes Manual. Then again, the electrics in a Haynes Manual can be quite a bit different to what Land Rover intended Very Happy . It will have a Dixon Bate tow jaw as opposed to a ball hitch and there will be a NATO 12 pin towing socket with all the electric string coloured yellow, just to help you with fault finding Laughing . Most of the 2.5NA Defenders have been released now, although glancing at the Withams site, there are still a few vehicles there (at a price Shocked ).

100" of pure TD5 pleasure

Member No. 3220
Geoff Che
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello TomTom

I concur with everything that Rich and Nige have said, but would add the following.

If you can, try to get an ex-RAF vehicle, they are generally less abused than the army ones and have lower mileage. Also try to get a later model, ie steer clear of the series models.

The 2.5lt normally aspirated engine is a reliable plodder - mine can cruise all day at 60(ish)mph.

Finally, check the fuel tank, these sometimes leak from the fuel level sender unit joint (the weak point of the tank).

But, you won't regret getting one, they are great fun and, generally speaking, there is very little which can go wrong.

Cheers
Geoff

It is only those who do nothing that make no mistakes.
Nige P
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just had a glance at Withams again and this one would be great. Ex 21 SAS, you could drive round with a black balaclava on and pretend you were heading for the Iranian Embassy (even though it wasn't built then) Laughing .

Alternatively, you could do it up and give it a decent coat of paint Laughing

100" of pure TD5 pleasure

Member No. 3220
TomTom
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Gents

The advice and info is much appreciated.

Tom Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // All Ex Military Vehicles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum