Clutch slave cylinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alumnus
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Clutch slave cylinder Reply with quote
I replaced a leaking cylinder with a new Lucas one only to find that the pipe union would not fit no matter how I positioned the pipe.

It seems to me that the only thing I can do is replace the pipe with a copper one ensuring beforehand that the union used actually screws in properly.

If I dispose with the flexible hose mid pipe do I run the risk of the pipe cracking due to vibration?

Any observations would be appreciated.

Thanks
shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying to visualise your problem here (I tend to think visually)... and I'm trying to see why getting rid of your flexi would solve your problem.

Something must have changed for it not to fit (where it did before).... What's different? Are the slaves different in any way when you compare them side by side? Is it a thread issue? You assume that, when you replace like with like, it should all fit.

In answer to your question about running without a flexi, the short answer is no, you can't run it without. You can get around this by looping a couple of coils in the copper pipe so it has flex rather than being rigid (don't kink it!!); however, that's a long stretch of copper pipe! Shocked

Former owner of Eileen, XRB ***L, 1972 Series 3 88".

Membership No. 6696
Nige P
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hydaulic couplings do tend to be problematic when reconnecting. Have you tried to reconnect the pipe with the slave off the vehicle? Have you got a metric slave cylinder thread and an imperial threaded fitting?

One thing, do not do away with the flexible pipe. It was put there for a purpose to absorb shock and vibrations. Taking it off will cause you broken pipework.

100" of pure TD5 pleasure

Member No. 3220
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also. Take off the union that fits to the slave and clean the threads. Check they are undamaged and try attaching before fitting.

If it fits, take it apart again and refit the copper pipe on the bulkhead. Offer up the slave and attach it to the copper pipe before fitting the securing bolts. This should give you the flexibility you need to be able to connect up the copper pipe. Hope this helps.

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: