Gearbox knackered..!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronMan
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Gearbox knackered..! Reply with quote
Hi All,

Recently had some strange / alarming clonking noises from my gearbox - assumed something had come loose, so removed rear cover to check the mainshaft castle nut - this is what I found..

Just though I'd share it for anyone that's interested.. - it's obviously been tightened with the hammer and chisel method in the past.. not by me, I hasten to add.. Crying or Very sad
darrenh
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
err, so just to clarify the end of mainshaft has snapped off completely, or am i looking at the pic wrong ?

does yours have overdrive? they guy at the garage i got mine from warned me about the nut coming loose and it starts catching on the splines of the overdive input shaft
IronMan
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
darrenh wrote:
err, so just to clarify the end of mainshaft has snapped off completely, or am i looking at the pic wrong ?

does yours have overdrive? they guy at the garage i got mine from warned me about the nut coming loose and it starts catching on the splines of the overdive input shaft

Hi Darrenh -
Yes, that's the end of the mainshaft, with the nut still attached .. !! - And I didn't have an overdrive unit fitted. I've only had the vehicle for a year, and I'm not aware of it ever having one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: