Defender R380 Problem after changing clutch master cylinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesal
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Defender R380 Problem after changing clutch master cylinder Reply with quote
Hi
This is my first post and a newbie Defender owner - be gentle!
I have encountered a problem after the clutch master cylinder leaked into the footwell and since replacing it I have issues going from 1st to 2nd if the revs are too high and 3rd to 2nd is virtually impossible unless stopped. I have adjusted the clutch peddle as per the Haynes manual and also reverse bled it again to see if that would help. Transmission fluid is all ok as well. Ashcroft have said to bleed again, but surely reverse bleeding is going to expel all air?? Am I wrong here? All other gear changes are crunch free.
There seems to be talk of 2nd gear synchro problems, but it seems to be strange that it coincides with the clutch master cylinder change. Any help would be so appreciated.

Thanks
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's almost definitely related to the cylinder change, and to air in the system. They can be an absolute pain to bleed.

You may take several attempts to get it clear. Keep going with bleeding and you'll get there!

Rarely, you will see the slave cylinder begin to fail after the master is replaced butdI'd expect a leak with that.

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: