Land Rover Values

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Other Land Rovers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighRunner
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Land Rover Values Reply with quote
I spotted an early freelander 5 door (black door tops so one of the first 1500) sitting forlorn in the corner of a garages forecourt, made an inquiry and it was for sale if they could get it to move. I went on to the web for insurance quotes and got a shock at bottom book value varied between 220 and 295, and the quotes were for more than that so much for all Land Rover Values on the increase. spoke to the garage and they said it was there because there was no value in scrapping it. I know it's a 1.8 petrol but head gaskets been done, if they do get it going what's it worth with a years ticket on it ?, could be a cheap way into Land Rover ownership for someone.
Geoff2
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
All real Land Rover values may be on the rise - your mistake is considering this thing to be one - I wouldn't take it away, if I could, if you paid me, and it looks like no one else will either! Compare this to the Stage One Land Rovers I have - an Owners Manual for it just fetched 113 on ebay. Land Rover don't make real Land Rovers any more - that's why they are going up in value.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you could get it cheap with a year's ticket and reasonable insurance it might be worth considering but get the IRD (intermediate reduction drive checked thoroughly first as replacement will be more than the vehicle is worth.
The early petrol ones were not the best idea LR came up with but if you can get it cheap with a year's ticket and the IRD checks out then it's worth considering. Make sure though that the head gasket has been upgraded.
. Alan Drover
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
An example of how Land Rovers are going up in price was seen at the Newbury sale earlier. A pair of straight Series 3 front wings sold for 200! Shocked Shocked

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry Geoff2, but your comment about this Freelander not being a classic is not true. Given enough time, every first example of a model will be held up there as classic. Just because its not your cup of tea doesn't mean that there are not those out there who hold this model in their esteem.

There are plenty of cars out there that nobody thought would be classics; just think about such beauties as the mk1 Metro or perhaps the Hillman Imp? It would be a very boring world if everyone liked the same thing.

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Geoff2
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't actually say it couldn't be a classic, but that it wasn't a 'real Land Rover' - anybody can hold up anything as a classic but it takes some special quality to be so remembered, and that quality is a lot more than a badge - I won't be drawn into a pointless argument because time will tell, if it isn't already. (And it must be the first time I've heard the infinite variety of Series Land Rovers, 90s and 110s described as 'the same thing' - folk are free to like and buy as they choose but this is primarily a forum for enthusiasts of the Series 3, 90 & 110 isn't it? - I personally wouldn't pay anything like what is now being asked for a Series 1 either, but at least I'd probably get my money back or more on that)
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that it would be a 'pointless' argument - but as we probably have completely differing ideas of what constitutes a classic, there could not really be a 'winner', so I'm happy to maintain a stoical 'no comment' Laughing

I would however like to point out that 'the same thing' was a generalization and not deemed to be isolating different models of Land Rovers.

regards

Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's not turn this into an argument of what is or isn't a classic. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so let's live and let live.
I prefer to see many different makes of vehicles at classic shows rather than just one.
. Alan Drover
Geoff2
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The OP didn't ask about investing in a potential classic, or mention 'classics' at all. He asked if this freelander could be "a cheap way into Land Rover ownership". I made my view on that pretty plain, and I thought what he'd already found out online bore me out, but if he's still interested, Alan Drover's first comment was probably the most helpful, so I'll shut up.
Brian
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't believe a Freelander will ever achieve the same 'classic' status as a Series or even a Defender as we see them but they will, as any old car will in time achieve the term '. Classic'. That said they are a cheap way to get into the Landrover ' state of mind' and could be the first step on the road to getting a Series. Beloved's Freelander 1 is a capable car and requires just normal maintenance to keep it on the road, it even marks it's own territory. It was cheap to buy and insure and should the IRD fail it would not be a huge financial loss.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is an IRD, and what's its purpose in life?

Geoff2
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Irksome Ridiculous Device. To fail.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Freelanders are predominantly front wheel drive but when the front wheels are struggling for grip, the viscous coupling in the IRD (Intermediate Reduction Drive) stiffens and drive is transmitted to the rear wheels.
The IRD usually fails in the all wheel drive position and this is similar to a Series 3 in 4 wheel drive on a solid surface. The IRD then breaks as it is the weakest link in the chain.
They are not cheap to replace so some owners remove the rear propshaft leaving the IRD in place and use just 2 wheel drive. The unit is heavy and awkward to remove.
. Alan Drover

Last edited by Alan Drover on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Geoff2
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I said Smile
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, thanks Alan & Geoff - sounds like you are both right. Now I see why there are so many 2-wheel-only drive Freelanders out there.
I was thinking about a Freelander Commercial, but perhaps I'll give it a miss.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Other Land Rovers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: