Heavy Duty Springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90-110 Mechanicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty Springs Reply with quote
Team,

I've got an ARB bumper and a winch for the 90. Currently, the 90 is fitted with standard springs as far as i'm aware. The front sits slightly lower than the rear but not by much. However, once the ARB bumper is fitted, it will sit much lower at the front than it currently does! The winch bumper and winch is very heavy. I haven't weighed it but it is just moveable by one person if that helps!

I've been looking online at HD standard height springs for the front. Has anyone fitted HD springs for a 90 with a winch bumper? Likewise, any recommendations for springs? I've found pairs of standard height HD springs on ebay new for between 40 Surprised and 80 per pair from the likes of bearmach and britpart, if these are any good. I don't have a suspension lift and want to retain the standard height if possible as i prefer the standard look. I don't think i need to change the rear springs as i don't tow heavy trailers or carry heavy loads either.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome! Very Happy Very Happy

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been trawling the 'net and there is all sorts of conflicting advice. some say standard HD springs, others say HD plus a lift, some say try standard and go from there... Shocked Shocked

So far, the standard height HD is looking favourite. It will be some time 'til i get around to sorting this so plenty of time to think about it, especially with baby Knappster around the corner... Smile Smile Having the time to fit it all is another matter though! Rolling Eyes Smile

Yule
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Rich,

Only a thought, but won't the weight of all the baby stuff in the rear balance things up?

Very Happy

1975 200TDI Series 3 aka Henry
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Standard height HD should do the job just fine.

With suspension, you get what you pay for, so a DECENT aftermarket, genuine or OEM will last longer and behave more favouribly than poor quality parts. I've uprated suspension on a few Defenders and have had far better experience when paying for a good item.

Also remember this is safety critical...

Front and back... There are a few views and theoretically, you should be OK with uprating just the end you need to uprate. Personally, I would consider, however, looking at having matching rate rear suspension. On some models, the standard front springs can be matched to a HD rear, but generally not the other way around, so I cannot vouch for how the handling might be affected. On older vehicles, the front end was uprated as standard for heavier diesel engines, and petrol series vehicles commonly had diesel front springs fitted to compensate for the winch, where fitted.

Ultimately, I would find a good spring supplier and ask for their advice on make and converting only front or both front and back.

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lowcatjo, thanks for the advice. I'll avoid the cheap springs and look for some decent ones. I'll ask some suppliers for their recommendations.

Yule, i think we've bought enough baby stuff to need HD springs all 'round! Surprised Surprised Wink

I'll let you know how i get on with the spring change. Very Happy Very Happy

Yule
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think they have an article on spring changing in the latest classic Landy mag.

1975 200TDI Series 3 aka Henry
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yule, thanks for the tip. I don't get Classic Landy but i'll try to get the latest issue. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90-110 Mechanicals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: