Manifold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave88
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Manifold Reply with quote
On my 1972 SWB 2.25 petrol I have a rattle that I've traced to where the exhaust joins the manifold.
The manifold flange's 3 nuts are done up tight, and the flange is up tight face to face with the manifold, but the exhaust has a good 4mm of up and down movement.
There is no side-to-side movement.
I seem to remember when I put it all together (many years ago) it seemed a bit odd there wasn't a "crush washer" or similar gasket arrangement in there, but the parts book shows nothing goes in there.
The rattle goes away after a mile or 2, so I assume the parts are expanding enough to take up enough of the movement to stop the rattle, but 4mm???
Is the parts book correct?
Has anyone else had this issue?
The exhaust was a genuine Landie one and has only done a couple of thousand miles.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Dave88.
Seems strange that you've got a rattle at the joint but no mention of any exhaust blow. With 4mm there would be a noticeable blow. Have you checked the downpipe mounting points.and are you sure the nuts are tight as corrosion on the stud threads can make them appear tight when they aren't. Is the downpipe flange loose?
I use brass barrel nuts on the downpipe mounting studs as they cover the stud threads completely so no corrosion can take place.
. Alan Drover
Dave88
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the flange is up tight and butts up right up against the manifold.
There is a little blow by but it seems the minimal side to side movement means only a little gas escapes.
Yes, I like the idea of brass nuts.
I'm tempted to try part number olive NTC2731 as it seems that's the sort of thing I'm missing. Not sure if it's the right size for a 2.25 setup though.
As far as I'm aware all the parts I have are either original or genuine parts so it does seem odd.
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a thin metal gasket supplied with the down-pipe when i replaced the old down-pipe on my old two-and-a-quarter. It fitted tightly with no leaks but it was an aftermarket pipe if that makes any difference.

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Dave88.
From your 2nd posting it seems that the downpipe flange isn't pulling the pipe tight against the manifold even though the nuts are tight
Is it an aftermarket exhaust? No gaskets were ever fitted. It relies on a well fitting joint.
Have you tried slackening it off and retightening?
. Alan Drover
Dave88
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well this has been an odd one.
It looks like I must have a different exhaust manifold to the standard 2.25 petrol one, as the exhaust is a genuine LR one. The carb is a standard Zenith so the inlet manifold seems to be correct. Maybe it's a 2.5 exhaust manifold, or something broke off the end of the exhaust pipe?
The manifold has a recess where the exhaust pipe joins it, but with the flange butted up against the manifold the exhaust still had vertical movement - but very little sideways movement so didn't leak too much.
In the end I tried an olive (part no. NTC2731) but this was too big (tall) when fitted and the flange was then too far away from the stud threads.
So I sawed the olive in half acrossways! This gave it a C cross section rather than something closer to a U, and then everything was a good fit, and so far has done the job. It sounds quieter too but I can hear the other mechanical noises more!
And now with brass nuts it should all come apart again when it needs to. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Engines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: