Start Motor Bendix...urgent advice required.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Electrical problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinker
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Start Motor Bendix...urgent advice required. Reply with quote
Hi,
I have just fitted a "NEW" starter motor Part no. RTC5225N to my series 3, 6 cylinder 1979, 109.
It keeps sticking. I phoned the supplier , Paddock, and they were great, they admitted the unit came from Britpart and manufactured in China. They agreed to replace the item immediately with a genuine Lucas re-conditioned unit with 2 yr warranty.
Fabulous.
It's been many years so forgive me if this seems a stupid queston.
When I first got the new unit it was wrapped in the usual brown greased paper.. The spring on the Bendix was good and worked well.
I just fitted it.
Can I ask , should I clean all the grease off in petrol, let it dry, then give a little squirt of silicone spray (not Grease), just lube on the shaft only. ???
I.E Fit it dry.
There are many conflicting ideas on the internet. And I should have asked you guys earlier, sorry. But I am new and forgot you are all there as a major helpline.
Kind regards
Steve.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afternoon Tinker.
The problems with buying Chinese junk.
Silicon spray is a good idea as it's non sticky and won't attract the inevitable dust from the clutch
. Alan Drover
Tinker
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much.
Just what I needed.
A star you are.

Kind regards
Steve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Electrical problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: