My ongoing search for a Landy - more advice please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mightyquin
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: My ongoing search for a Landy - more advice please! Reply with quote
I have posted in the newbies forum and received some helpful pointers.

Having found a really nice ex army 110 I was devastated (really!) to learn that it wouldn't meet the LEZ regulations, just because it's deemed a van not an SW.

I've seen a petrol 110 advertised which gets around the LEZ problem but it needs some work (although currently MOT'd).

It's an 84, pretty standard spec but has 130 rims (?). I've spoken to the seller who said it runs really well, is basically sound but needs some tidying up. The front footwells are the worst point needing welding or repair panels - is that a big job? He also said the floor under the drivers seat has rotted but the area under the passenger seat/battery is fine. It's had a new crossmember, the chassis is OK and the bulkhead has previously been welded.

The paintwork is poor but I think I'd cure that with a tin of nato green and a paint roller.

I might go look at it this weekend.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afternoon Mightyquin.
Footwells are not an arduous job. Definitely worth having a look at.130 rims are on the 130" wheelbase version and are heavier duty I think.
The engine will be a 2.3, 5 main bearing version of the 2.25 same capacity and will have the same replaceable oil filter element. Won't be unleaded unless converted.
Best of luck. Alan Drover
Mightyquin
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Alan,

I forgot to ask the guy if it ran on unleaded or not, thanks for the reminder.

Good to know the floorpans aren't a major issue - I did some googling and see that repair sections are pretty cheap - I know the labour is another matter!

It could be a contender..
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Mightyquin.
The engine number in the 110 should start with 361 but some had Santana engines fitted from Spain. These start 991. Only minor differences between them.
. Alan Drover
Mightyquin
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Seen another Landy, more help if I may! Reply with quote
Hi all,

I viewed another Landy today and am tempted but there are some issues.

It's a 110 2.5 petrol hard top. Perfect for me (no LEZ issues). It's got an MOT but the owner bought it a few months ago and says he's never used it and needs to move it on. He had another Landy as his business vehicle.

It looks OK on first glance, no major bodywork issues although it needs tidying up and ideally repainting (I'd go Nato green roller job). It has the deep rim wheels with good tyres, and a roof rack is fitted (together with two rails that have been annoyingly bolted to the actual roof panel - no sure what for). There were also a couple of bolt holes which will need plugging up!

It ran fine for the short drive I had.

Bad points…

Both footwells have rusted through and someone has riveted a couple of sheets of metal over as a temp. repair but they will need doing properly. The passenger side is worse with rot up the inner side panel and a nice view of the road as you go along.

The box under the drivers seat is also gone, just some rusty metal remnants.

The Bulkhead looked OK, apparently it has had some older repairs but I couldn't tell. I did spot a small rust hole below the lower hinge of the passenger door however, just tiny but there.

Underneath was clean - no obvious problems that I could see. A couple of outriggers had been replaced apparently and some minor welding in the past.

The brakes felt a bit spongy although they worked.

None of the door locks work, in fact the passenger door lock is missing.

The indicators didn't work nor did the hazards. The side/headlights did work.

The top of the rear door didn't sit tight in the gap, like it needs pushing in at the top.

The engine bay was pretty tidy. Signs of an oil leak from the rocker cover area. Recently fitted new rad.

With the above points seen to an a lick of paint it could be a smart looking example but I know there will no doubt be a few other issues to make themselves known (always are with new old cars!).

Any thoughts or advice welcome.
Mightyquin
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
just to add, the one I looked at on Saturday is the same one mentioned previously. First chance I had to see it.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Mightyquin.
What year is the petrol 110 and what is the asking price? The indicators and hazards have a common feed so it could be simply a blown fuse.
If it's basically OK could be worth negotiating a lower price to get the faults fixed.
. Alan Drover
Mightyquin
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Alan,

It's an '84 offered at £3250 but it's been up a few weeks with no takers so far.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Mightyquin.
If it's 1984 then it's unlikely to have a 2.5 engine as they were not introduced until mid 1985. If you know the registration number go to vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle and enter the number and make you will get all the details.
It probably has a 5 main bearing version of the 2.25 engine and can be identified by the oil filter which is a replaceable element type and the engine number will begin with 361.
Price does seem high for the condition, probably why there are no takers.
. Alan Drover
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning again Mightyquin.
Might be worth putting in an offer of £2,000 but before doing so check with Dunsfold Land Rover that the door lock mechanisms are available as there's no point in making an offer if they are not. I suspect it will have the lift up Series 3 type of locks.
. Alan Drover
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So all it possibly needs is:

new/repair chassis
new/repair bulkhead
new seat box
new floors
new door locks
new brakes/pipes
new indicators/wiring
new paintjob
new gaskets?

I'd probably thank him for letting me look at it and then run in the opposite direction

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afternoon Mightyquin.
As the engine's pedigree is now doubtful, walk away as Yule suggests.
Have a look at the classified ads in the Land Rover magazines. Ebay is a dodgy way to buy any vehicle.
. Alan Drover
Mightyquin
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice.

I know there's a list of jobs but compared to some on offer it didn't seem too bad.

I was browsing the net earlier and look at these examples - surely they're not worth the asking prices with rot like that?

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/us...der-110-2.5-td5-county-station-wagon-19648023

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/us...der/land-rover-defender-hard-top-tdi-19642269

Are the sellers being way too optimistic or are my expectations on being able to find an 'OK' example for about £3K unrealistic?
Mightyquin
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Search continues... Reply with quote
After letting my Landy search take a back seat (and almost giving up on the idea at one point) I have been browsing now and then and saw what looks like a very nice 110 with a new MOT for sale.

Again the LEZ is a worry, as it's diesel. Although not a factory SW it is coming up as exempt and it's registered as a car so it could be a go-er.......

Presumably if I bought it, when the DVLA get the V5 they would just change the ownership details - I'm just a bit worried as the current V5 doesn't show a vehicle M or N code. As a car they should assign it an M code. Any opinions?
Nick666
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd have thought the LEZ 'vehicle checker' is about as good a sign as you'll get that it shouldn't be caught by the charge. Not that I'd count on it for that long - it's inevitable that the criteria (whether by LEZ or another means) for vehicles entering London (and most other cities but at a slower pace) will get tougher, so at some point it'll either be fined to the hilt or banned altogether.
Does make me grin a bit that a '68 hardtop V8 is exempt though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: