Propshaft and hubs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Mechanicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Adie.
The switch on my 2.5 petrol is similar to your old switch except the hexagon is on the collar below the head. I reckon it's the same as I can't imagine Land Rover changing the switch when the filter housing was changed to spin on.
Strange that your new switch has the correct part number but is definitely the wrong one.
. Alan Drover
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afternoon Adie.
Had a look on line and part number PRC 6387 was fitted to Series 3 and the 2.5 petrol, N/A and turbo diesels and 200 & 300 Tdi engines.
. Alan Drover
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found a Rimmer catalogue and PRC 6387 was fitted to Series 3 engines from 1980 onwards and all 2.5 petrol,N/A and turbo diesels and 200 & 300 Tdi engines until the TD5.
According to the catalogue the switch you bought was fitted to earlier Series 3 engines but no mention of any change in the Land Rover parts book.
Anyway, PRC 6387 is the one.
. Alan Drover
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff and Alan for your help.

Yes Alan, that would figure, my Landy is '79 although has had replacement engine at some point in it's past. It's 5 bearing so at least 1980 onward's. It also has the engine number S366.... so a 'Service Replacement' engine? So that could have been anything up to 1984. So PRC 6387 is the one.

Problem solved, part on order and hopefully sorted by the weekend fingers crossed!!

Thanks again chaps
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Changed the Pinion seal on the rear axle. This has cured the oil leak at the rear and the new oil pressure switch has cured the oil leak at the front, so good news there.

After a lot of reading around the pinion seal was something that I could do at home. It turns out that the Salisbury Axle does indeed require a set preload on the pinion nut, however the Rover type axle/diff uses shims and is pre-set. So quite simple to do. Just drain the axle, remove prop, use TNT to remove pinion nut, remove drive flange, prise out old seal (That turns out to be the wrong one so no wonder it's leaking!) Drive in new seal using 52mm hub socket, ensure inner lip is below surface of casting, reassemble to 96Nm! and refill with EP90. About 3 hours work including a bit of a clean up.

As a note, not sure if anyone else has done this? But I used a 5 litre garden sprayer, the kind you pump up, like this:
1 by Adrian Tyler, on Flickr

Bought it new online for about 10. Removed the long fibreglass lance that runs from the trigger to the nozzle at the end and cut it down to about 3 inches long then re-assembled. Removed the adjustable jet from the end so it is just an open hole. Fill it with EP90, pump up, stick the end in the fill hole of the axle/gearbox etc, press the trigger and lie back and wait! Or use an elastic band to hold the trigger down. I stuck just under 2 litres in the sprayer (axle take 1.7 litres) Clamped the trigger down and went and made a cup of tea. Kept my eye on the level of the sprayer from a chair! When it was getting low I crawled back under and in a minute or so it dribbled over and all was done. No mess and no fuss! Highly recommended!!
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well done Einstein - you are a veritable genius!

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some time ago I bought a Draper Suction Gun, rather like a large syringe with an extension tube. It sucks the oil out of a container and by pushing the plunger with the tube in the filler hole in goes the oil.
. Alan Drover
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
But can you drink tea whilst doing it? Laughing
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, I got one of them too - everybody makes them - loads on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=oil+suction&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=8861373102&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1a2192za6c_e

and ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l2632.R2.TR9.TRC1.A0.H1.Xoil+suction+.TRS0&_nkw=oil+suction+pump&_sacat=34998
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Adie.
Unfortunately no. Anyway, congratulations on your MOT pass and only just under a year to go before you have to go through it again.
. Alan Drover
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Alan for halting the joyous 'Back Slapping' and bringing me back to reality and assisting in the return of the solemn faced expression! Shocked
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well done Adie!

If it's any help, i can certainly drink tea! I just put the work off while i have a brew! As for filling axles, i used an old EP90 bottle, warmed up so the oil runs better, with a length of clear tube on the spout. A bit slower but works a treat! Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's what I used to do, but got fed up with squeezing the bottle - well worth investing a fiver in one of those oil suction thingies imo.
AJT4
Really Should Get Out More
Really Should Get Out More

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got a oil suction gun from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004BS70FK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good for draining old oil out, only issue I have found is the small breather whole at the top if you press the plunger down to quick sometimes its comes out the top. Also not the best with DOT 4 Laughing

If you get any of the COMMA/Halfords 1L bottles they come with a tube which can be placed on the lid which is quite useful and acts as a suction gun and makes it a lot easier to put oil into the box / axles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Mechanicals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: