Forum Camaraderie.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Forum Camaraderie. Reply with quote
I've been on this forum for about 15 months and one that has struck me is the friendship. Nobody puts anyone down for not knowing a subject. After all, we're not all experts and can give advice and still learn. Also there is the friendly banter that goes on but is not insulting.
I recently joined another club forum and very soon discovered it's nowhere near as friendly as I thought. One member in particular ridicules others who make mistakes yet thinks he knows it all.
I still take part in this forum and ignore his snide comments. Thank goodness for this club forum.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with you Alan. I have been on other forums where some members think that it is ok to make others look stupid. I have found that that is probably the best way to put folk off wanting to be a part of our community.
There have been some spirited discussions on here, but I find everyone to be constructive in their opinions. A very welcome change. Thanks folks Smile

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
websnail
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree, most of us wave when we pass and would stop for a fellow Landy driver in trouble too.

1972 88" Hard top with windows

Previously my daily drives:
109" Series three station wagon
110" Hard top with windows
109" FFR pick up, 24 volt
Geoff Che
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, everyone in the club, and on the forum, have always been very helpful and friendly.

Why would people go out of their way to be nasty to others? I certainly couldn't do it - I only know one rude word, anyway, and that's Jeep.

Pip pip
Geoff

It is only those who do nothing that make no mistakes.
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Absolutely Alan, I do not know any other forum that continues to have regular contributions but manages to function with nothing but decent respect from all participants within the exchanges of views and opinions. Extremely rare! More rare than you would believe!

May it continue on!!
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel that I have made friends on this forum unlike the other one I take part in. Contributors on the Club forum make it easy for newcomers as I discovered when I first started, and newcomers must be made welcome to encourage more postings by them.
The other forum has a very large number of users but I have never felt welcome and it is not well administered judging by the contents of some of the postings.
A clue to that Club forum is in the make of my other vehicle.
shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been on this particular forum since 2011. Personally, I've always found the contributors friendly, supportive, tolerant and open minded.

I do find the intellectual war of attrition between some groups of members of the various Series clubs and associated fora really pathetic. It's like school turf wars... That, and the hierarchic henpecking that you are required to accept.

We're all here for a common goal. I just don't understand why we have to draw lines in the sand based on what Series you drive and what club or forum you choose to be involved in...

When I joined another Series forum, I was basically told by one member to watch myself since I was known to belong to another forum... Question Question Question Seriously? Are we 5 years old again Question Question Question

Former owner of Eileen, XRB ***L, 1972 Series 3 88".

Membership No. 6696
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Surprised Blimey! The cheek!
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed shifaa.
Because I own a less desirable version of MG, many members look down on me and other owners of the same type just because we can't afford the versions they have. Like you said, we are all after the same goal to preserve the marque.
At a local show a few years ago I visited the Series 2 stand and was made to feel unwelcome. I don't know why this happens. Series 3 members aren't like that in my experience. We don't look down on a member who has a late Defender any more than we do anyone who has a Series 1. They're all Land Rovers.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan - I have also owned a rubber bumpered MG. Mine was a nice yellow B from 1976. I was really proud the first time that I went to a gathering of MGs in it. If I recall it was in the car park of some pub near Cannock. When I arrived, I was directed to the rear of the buildings and onto the grassed area behind - effectively shrouded from the main car park and road beyond. I thought that was where everyone was gathering until I noticed that the other MGs around me were also all rubber bumpered models. I asked a neighbour why we were all at the back, and he said that they only let the chrome boys at the front where the passing public could see them. What a crock of sh*t. I had this confirmed by one of the car park 'organisers' so I left in disgust. I never went to another MG show whilst I had that car.

Henry is a nice patina'd (scruffy) so and so, but never gets put in a corner when we attend gatherings. Must be a Land Rover thing I guess?

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Paul.
My Land Rover polishes up reasonably well but is not perfect yet it's been on the Club stand a few times at the Land Rover show that used to be held at the Bath and West showground in Somerset and has been in CLR magazine. My MGB GT would never be deemed good enough to be on display on an MG club stand or in an MG publication. As you stated, it's a Land Rover thing.
frank
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been watching this topic and its very interesting how other forums and clubs treat other people, I know of a camping club that if you turn up in an older caravan you are always at the back of the field, with the super modern vans by the entrance so they can be seen
Well he are a few facts about this club
Turn up in any vehicle and you are very welcome, not just a Land Rovers, OK if you turn up in a transit then you will not be at the front of the stand, but you can still come to the event and ANY Land Rover, new , old, clean or dirty, and you can be on the clubs stand providing we have room of course.
Come to a camping/ caravanning event in a one man tent, or a super deluxe caravan, with everything, and you are welcome, where will you pitch be?
Simple answer, the next available pitch, if you want to camp by some body you know than please arrive together or wait before you set up
There are no "special" people, we all cannot afford the luxury of a brand new vehicle or caravan
34HF90
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no other word for it but snobbery, unfortunately. I'm sure we each can think of vehicle groups and forums where this goes on.

Something that I have experienced with these forums (and I'm thinking of one Land Rover one in particular here) is that the members seem less interested in open discussion and more in checking your credentials and making sure that the ruffians don't overstep the mark. you have to be 'one of them' or you are largely ignored.

This sort of thing is sad, since it ignores the fact that we should all be on the same side.

This is something that I've never experienced here. Maybe it's because there are fewer people on here or more likely that because of the various vehicles we own, we are comfortable with the diversity
Wink

MTR Welding
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just been on the other forum and the know it all has been having a go at another contributor virtually getting an apology even though the contributor had posted nothing wrong.
I'm puzzled why whoever is supposed to administer that forum doesn't do something. Much more of that attitude and I will quit. I'm very disappointed with the supervision of that club forum.

Last edited by Alan Drover on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
shifaa
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan, I've seen that sort of thing too. There are some extremely fragile egos out there, sadly Rolling Eyes

Former owner of Eileen, XRB ***L, 1972 Series 3 88".

Membership No. 6696
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: