My Series III Engine: Keep or replace?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taimanov
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: My Series III Engine: Keep or replace? Reply with quote
Hi All,

Your advice would be appreciated please.

I'm currently rebuilding my 1977 Series 3 (new chassis) and I'm in a quandary as to what to do with the engine. I currently have its "ok" original 2.25 petrol but want to make the vehicle my daily driver when I've rebuilt it. I also want to tow a caravan (sometimes around Europe!) and worry about the huge cost of petrol (to work and back is 120 miles a week).

I've been reading around a bit and there's mileage (excuse the pun!) in getting a 200TDi it seems. Should I really be swapping to a diesel when they're on the list of awful things and will be "banned" at some point?

A replacement petrol engine? What would go in to my Series III without too much butchery?

Any advice would be much appreciated - and apologies as there's probably posts like this all the time.

All the very best for a Land Rover-filled New Year
Gordon
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afternoon Gordon.
200 Tdi is a good conversion but watch out for transmission problems with the extra torque.
A petrol engine that drops straight in is the later 2.5 petrol which has the advantage of being unleaded and does give more power. Mine runs extremely well using the 2.25 Zenith carburettor and manifolds. Tdi will have better fuel economy.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice!!!!!!!
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another way Gordon is to remove the turbo from the Tdi and have a di diesel. This has about the same power output as the 2.5 petrol but better fuel economy.
I know there are contributors to the forum who have Tdi conversions so it would be interesting to hear their experiences especially on the transmission.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
200tdi is a fine choice. The increase in torque is only a problem if you drive it hard. I have had no issues so far (everything crossed). As Alan has advised, the turbo can always be taken off if you think there is a problem. Mine has the added benefit of power steering Smile and I am running a 90 front end which gives plenty of working space under the bonnet.

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
moretea
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: petrol engine Reply with quote
Hi all, It did worry me, currently I have the NA 21/4 diesel & was thinking of going down the 200 di route. then I heard the government were planing to stop new sales of all petrol & diesel cars by 2040, it is unlikely second hand vehicle would be stopped at the same time, by that time I certainly shan't be worrying about driving.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry about the diesel issue. When the time comes that diesel is banned completely, you simply convert your engine to run on chip fat - one look at some kids nowadays and you just know that we'll never run short of it.....

The only downside would be all the kids running after your motor once they smell your exhaust, trying to get a cone of chips Laughing

Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My series 3 is work in progress but has the 200Di fitted. It was fitted with a 2.5 petrol from an early 90 which was a better engine for motorway driving with more power and running on unleaded as standard. With an overdrive it was easily capable of 70mph. The T/di conversion is very good, my 90 has a disco 200Tdi fitted and its a very good conversion.

If you’re changing the chassis, the Landy won’t be original so an engine change will be less of an issue. However, remember to tell your insurance company.

There’s lots of information on the web about both conversions. Very Happy

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
However, remember to tell your insurance company.

Important information

John A
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have a new galv chassis so you don't want to do anything that will involve having to weld in new engine mounts. 200 T/Di is good, 300 engine is becoming more popular as 200s get harder to find, mods required to engine mount but an adaptor can be fabricated rather than welding chassis.
I have a 200 Di in my 109 and I love it but it is noisy so good sound-proofing is needed. Also you will need to up the gearing, it will be screaming at 50 mph on standard gearing. An overdrive is the best choice but different diffs are cheaper. A hi ratio transfer box is only ok on an 88; on a 109 it will be over-geared. (This info direct from Ashcroft).

What to think about the diesel v petrol thing? Your guess is as good as mine. Who can say what nasty trick government has up its sleeve for the not too distant future? Whatever it might be, we can be fairly sure that it won't be pleasant...
I do think that when they have done for diesels they will turn their attention to old petrol cars. Hints have been dropped already, bend over and brace yourself... But enjoy yourself while you can in the meantime.
Taimanov
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks very much for the replies everyone, much appreciated. Some food for thought here but my instinct is to get a 200Di and keep the petrol engine ("for later"). Thanks for the advice on the gearing - not sure what you mean by getting different diffs please? I'm an absolute beginner I'm afraid.
Best wishes
Gordon
John A
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I mean: higher ratio diffs from a different vehicle, an early model Disco or Range Rover. Standard series diffs are 4.7:1, what you want is some diffs that are 3.54:1. Problem is that your transmission brake won't work as efficiently with higher ratio diffs and your speedo won't be accurate either and will need to be re-calibrated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: