Transfer box metal in oil and strange noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigmg5
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Transfer box metal in oil and strange noise Reply with quote
Hoping someone can help. The driveline is making a new noise (very loud rattling when coming off load). I drained the oils (gearbox, transfe4 and both diffs) and only the transfer box oil had signs of a problem - with metal ‘glitter’ in the oil, but I have now stripped the transfer box and can see no problem or wear that could have produced this metal. Anyone seen anything similar or any idea what I am missing?
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sounds very much as though the whole gearbox is going to explode, potentially ripping the vehicle in half and enveloping what is left in a fireball that might be seen for miles.

I would grab your wife & kids and run for the hills where you should hole up until the all clear warning is sounded.

You are most welcome for the advice, but please note that I am not a gearbox expert so quite possibly not all of the above will occur.

regards, Paul.

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Dave88
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How long is it since the last time the oil was changed? Small amounts of swarf are to be expected. On my first Series 3 I changed the gearbox oil when I first got it and a metal tooth came out (from a cog, not my mouth).

Several thousand miles later nothing had got any worse.

I would run it for a hundred miles, drain the oil again and if there's more metal then it's time to change the transfer box before it goes bang. It will probably be cheaper if you have a half decent unit to part exchange rather than a piece of scrap that exploded.
bigmg5
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks folks. The oil was only changed about 100 miles ago when I replaced the bottom plate on the box in an attempt to reduce the leakage rate - some cars have a service interval indicator, my series 3 enforces oil changes by dumping most over the garage floor!!)

One thought though. The mud shield on the selector shafts has rotted and needs replacing, could it be holding the 2/4 wheel drive shaft only just disengaged and the ringing noise is the output shaft occasionally touching when off load.

Not sure I’m too keen on running to failure - it sounds expensive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: