New springs - parabolic or standard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Mechanicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khaki Rover
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: New springs - parabolic or standard? Reply with quote
Hi all,
With some signs of the weather finally improving (the snow has almost all gone!) I'm thinking about the long list of jobs to do on the Landy.
First up is new springs. The old ones are rusted solid; they might respond to a strip and grease, but they might also be scrap so I'd like to replace them and of course I'm wondering about parabolics...
I know there are lots of different opinions about parabolics, but I'm going to ask anyway...

My Series is a LWB truck cab, it's an ex-military with the extended shackles. It has an easy life mainly on the road and not heavily loaded, so I'm thinking parabolics with the standard LWB shackles (I really don't need any extra lift!).
I'm not sure about which shocks to use? I guess they need to be extended travel for parabolics?
Also, is it realistic to change the springs myself? I have space, but no garage, so it will be jacks and axle stands!

Martin
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might be interested in the last page of this thread on the Stage 1 forum I'm also on:

https://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1567&p=13153#p13153
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Martin,you'll need extended shocks with parabolics. I used Pro Comp 3000, adequate for normal use.
Khaki Rover
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff & Alan,
Geoff, I read the Stage1 link with interest - I've not heard of a spring actually breaking before, but I've heard there are some dodgy parabolics out there, so I'll take the time to do some more research.
I just got access to the Members' Area and I see SeriousIII has posted a HowTo on changing springs, so I'll read that too.
I suppose I could start by stripping and rebuilding the old springs, but I'd like to improve the ride if possible, hence the interest in parabolics.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, if your springs are rusted solid you might improve the ride by replacing them with new standard or, if they are salvageable, giving them some tlc so that they are actually doing something!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Mechanicals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: