Steering column bearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Mechanicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liamh
Really Should Get Out More

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Steering column bearing Reply with quote
Been rebuilding a steering box, got a new column top bearing from Craddocks, made by Britpart.
It's a very loose fit on the shaft and in the tube, the original was a nice snug fit.
The new one allows the shaft to move by at least 1mm, it actually moves more than the worn out old one, which has lost most of its balls!
Craddocks claim that this is correct!
No way am I going to use it.
Can anyone recommend a supplier/manufacturer of a better quality bearing that will actually fit?
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
liamh try Dunsfold Land Rover. They can supply genuine parts and I don't think they deal with Britpart. I recently bought a Genuine Parts clutch master and slave cylinder and flexible hydraulic hose from them. They don't sell rubbish.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/10586/RTC324-STEERING-COLUMN-TOP-BEARING.html?search=RTC324&page=1

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RTC324

Unlike the above (and most other online suppliers), Craddocks website never specifies the origin of the parts they supply. I also use Dunsfold, but you have to phone them for prices - their website only tells you whether they have a stock or not.
liamh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had plenty of good parts from Britpart but also some rubbish as well.
Was more pissed off with the attitude of the bloke at Craddocks.
He even claimed that there can't be anything wrong with it because we supply them to Land Rover and haven't had any complaints. 😂
Why are Land Rover still making series 2 steering boxes? And no way would they use Britpart bearings, and buy them from Craddocks.
He said he will get someone from Land Rover to phone me about it.
Obviously will try and avoid using Craddocks now.
Have ordered a genuine land rover part now.
I usually go for better quality more expensive parts for more critical parts like bearings, seals, brakes etc. but was the only make that Craddocks had and I was buying a load of other stuff from them anyway.
liamh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've even made a couple of videos to show the problem just in case I've gone mad and I'm missing something! lol

https://youtu.be/Az5hmcp4Vdc
https://youtu.be/ICNitsju-bY
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If true, makes you wonder about the quality of these expensive refurbishments of older vehicles Land Rover have started doing.

I've bought stuff from Craddocks too, but usually only if it was a part or a deal I couldn't get elsewhere. Frankly, I like buying online without the fuss of phoning to ask questions, so I prefer if all relevant info like pattern/Genuine/OEM is on the website (happy to phone Dunsfold though 'cos they're always friendly and knowledgeable - real enthusiasts)

Britpart don't make anything and buy from different suppliers, so you could buy two of the same part from them in two identical blue boxes and get two quite different qualities (one being 'cheap' and the other 'nasty'? Smile )
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've bought from Craddock occasionally (the carburettor was rubbish) but a few years ago I was very fortunate in buying 4 genuine Land Rover bottom spring plates for my Series 3. I was told once they're gone they're gone. I believe these plates are being manufactured now but I bet they won't be as good as my genuine ones.
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same with another big supplier with a similar sounding name to the one you mention. My issue was a new fuel tank which wouldnít hold fuel due to poor build quality. They admitted that the item was a Chinese-built version but insisted that I send the defective one back at my own expense. After lots of arguing and complaining, they relented.

Since then (this was the late 90ís) Iíve bought numerous other bits from the same supplier, most of which comes in blue packaging, all without issue. It shows that they source parts from different suppliers so it is luck of the draw as to what you get.

I have heard of others buying from main dealers and getting parts in the same packaging too, so thereís not necessarily a guarantee that they arenít the same as what other retailers sell...

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought a galvanized fuel tank made by PB (I think that was the name) from a mate who used to deal in Land Rovers and parts. That was ages ago and the tank is still OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Mechanicals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: