Gearbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WULFIE
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Gearbox Reply with quote
Hi guys, 200tdi in series3 Landy, on the way home my gear stick stuck in 2nd literally, with no movement at all. Pressing the clutch and trying to move it out of gear was nearly impossible, once free 3rd gear was almost as bad so I limped home in 1st-3rd and 4th.
Now, reverse, 1st and 4th are ok but 2nd & 3rd are bad with grinding and clunking when trying to select them.
The series 3 gearbox was reconditioned about 2 years ago and iíve had no trouble till now. When I got the parts from John Craddock, I was told the 2nd & 3rd synchro hub, (new old stock) have all gone, you can only get this as a make up piece, 2 or 3 components if I can remember.
I donít boot it, I just plod along everywhere.
The turbo is set to 1 bar of boost, and is rarely needed as only go to & from work, 7 mile round trip mainly on the flat.
Has anyone got any thoughts,
Many thanks Wulfie
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Wulfie.
I'm not too sure on this but it could be worn selector forks.
WULFIE
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Gearbox Reply with quote
Hi Alan nice to hear from you again.
I,ll look into the selector forks they are cheap enough, and easy to get to from the inside of the cab. I,ll keep you informed.
Wulfie
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
At the risk of stating the obvious, have you checked the gearbox oil level? I once went on holiday to North Wales in my old 2.25 Series 3 after checking everything except that - a fortnight later on the way home, after climbing a steep hill, my gearbox seized up exactly like that and I had to turn around and freewheel back down the hill where fortunately at the bottom there was a petrol station where I was able to buy some gear oil - problem solved (and where much to my embarrassment some guys in a seriously off-road looking Range Rover going the other way pulled in for fuel and, seeing me underneath my truck, asked if I needed any help) Apologies if I'm insulting your intelligence but 'never overlook the obvious' and all that.
WULFIE
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Gearbox Reply with quote
Hi Geoff2, thx for getting back in touch.
I always check everything every week, ....BIG BUT.... but I havenít checked the gearbox oil, not for a while 3-4 months to be honest, not a hard thing to do but sadly an over missed check off the old list.
Will check as soon as I can, and will let you know if it was the oil level being low.
Regards. Wulfie
WULFIE
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Gearbox Reply with quote
Hi geoff2,
I have topped the oil up and it is still the same, ( canít get 2nd at all).
I have bought the 3 detents, ball, springs and rubber washers as a kit, iíll try and fit these over the weekend plus clean the selector rods as well.
Speak soon wulfie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: