Steering alignment / Steering box adjustment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Mechanicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Steering alignment / Steering box adjustment Reply with quote
Back again!

I've replaced all the balljoints on the track rods or well one left to do as one had to much thread so a new one is on order and should be arriving tomorrow along with a set of new tyres.

Now where to a start with wheel alignment? I've read the green bible, however still trying to get my head around it. I took the S3 out the other day just for a test run and the steering was very vague on the old tyres/ one ball joint with excessive thread.

I'm also aware the steering box will also need to be adjusted via the locknut on the side to reduece play/backlash. Any advice on this?

Advice woud be much appreciated for a DIY mechanic!
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd start with the ball joints.

Check the drop arm on the steering relay for tightness and also for play in the steering relay in the front crossmember. Get a friend to steer and see if the top arm moves before the bottom arm. Lubricate all the ball joints. Stiffness makes steering hard and vague.

Also jack up the front and check for bearing play in the front wheels and for play in the king pins. Lift up the wheel and rock top to bottom, front to back. If any play. Get your friend to apply the foot brake. If the wobble stops, it's likely the bearing, if it continues, it's likely the king pin.

The last thing to adjust is your steering box. Jack up both front wheels and get your friend to gently turn the steering wheel. There should be no, or almost no play at the centre. Unlock the large nut and then GENTLY and SLOWLY (1/8 turn at a time) wind the nut in.m until the play is eliminated. Don't overtighten it.

To give you an idea about play, in almost 20 years of ownership, and lots of miles every year, I've adjusted the box once. I've had a loose drop arm and had to replace ball joints. Bearings have also given me play, but the box shouldn't often need adjusted.

Your tyres will also make a big difference.

Hope this helps??

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lowcatjo wrote:
I'd start with the ball joints.

Check the drop arm on the steering relay for tightness and also for play in the steering relay in the front crossmember. Get a friend to steer and see if the top arm moves before the bottom arm. Lubricate all the ball joints. Stiffness makes steering hard and vague.

Also jack up the front and check for bearing play in the front wheels and for play in the king pins. Lift up the wheel and rock top to bottom, front to back. If any play. Get your friend to apply the foot brake. If the wobble stops, it's likely the bearing, if it continues, it's likely the king pin.

The last thing to adjust is your steering box. Jack up both front wheels and get your friend to gently turn the steering wheel. There should be no, or almost no play at the centre. Unlock the large nut and then GENTLY and SLOWLY (1/8 turn at a time) wind the nut in.m until the play is eliminated. Don't overtighten it.

To give you an idea about play, in almost 20 years of ownership, and lots of miles every year, I've adjusted the box once. I've had a loose drop arm and had to replace ball joints. Bearings have also given me play, but the box shouldn't often need adjusted.

Your tyres will also make a big difference.

Hope this helps??

Thanks for coming back, steering is sort of sorted now or well as best as I can do on a Series 3 anyway. Iíll give it a couple of more test runs to see if it stays as it should do.

Got Goodyear 50/50 split tyres which are great and canít fault them.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
the box shouldn't often need adjusted

Quote:
steering is sort of sorted now or well as best as I can do on a Series 3 anyway

I drove my old Land Rover around for years quite happy with the steering. Then one night I took it to Lincolnshire where some of the roads are remarkably straight, and promptly got stopped for suspected drunk driving. After being breathalysed (and testing negative, of course) they seemed to accept my explanation that it was "just an old Land Rover" Anyway, time to adjust the steering box I realised.
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hopefully won't be breathalysed when out and about would be provide some amusement at work!

I drove my mate Series 2 for a test drive (Looking to purhcase a second...mad) thought mine was exciting but his is another level!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Mechanicals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: