2.5 defender into series 3 2.25 petrol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daktari dan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: 2.5 defender into series 3 2.25 petrol Reply with quote
hi all.

i have good 2.5 petrol defender engine to replace my rather tired 2.25. what clutch parts do i need to fit this engine to my 2.25 gearbox?

many thanks in advance

daniel
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good choice Dan. I've had a 2.5 petrol in my Series 3 for about 15 years and it's a very good engine.
The rule with clutches is that it should be for the gearbox so you need to get a Series 3 assembly.
My 2.5 runs extremely well using the Series 3 Zenith carburettor, manifolds and exhaust.
I have kept the 2.5 engine's pre engaged starter motor instead of the inertia one for the 2.25 engine.
daktari dan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
many thanks Alan, so will the 2.25 pressure plate bolt straight onto the 2.5 flywheel?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. I didn't carry out my engine swap, a mate did it. He didn't report any clutch fitting problems and the existing clutch was perfectly fine to use.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dan, to retain the temperature gauge you must fit a Series 3 sender into the 2.5 below the thermostat housing.I'm only a few miles away from you so I'd be willing to meet and show you the 2.5 installation in my Series 3. A few miles equates to about 1 gallon of petrol.
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you need to do is to keep the series flywheel housing which matches you gearbox casing. It will bolt straight on to the back of the engine. The rear of the 2 engine blocks are identical. I can't remember for sure, but you may need to keep the rear crankshaft bush from the series to match the gearbox input shaft from the Series clutch. I think the 2.5 flywheel can be retained, just check the distance from the back of the block to the flywheel face.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I can remember the 2.5 bellhousing fits straight on to the Series gearbox and the flywheel can be retained.
daktari dan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
many thanks all, but will the 2.5 5 bearing block accept the 2.25 3 bearing flywheel.

yours in anticipation....
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again I think the 2.5 flywheel will do. When the 2.25 engine is out you can compare them.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I remember seeing my 2.25 engine after it had been replaced by the 2.5 and it still had its flywheel and bellhouse attached so the 2.5 ones fitted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: