Stuck clutch pedal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AB88
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Stuck clutch pedal. Reply with quote
Good morning All,
Again as always not been about for a while due to parental duties so apologies i hope everyone is well!
My question is this, i started my landy up for the first time since the snow which is a rather longer time than i would have normally left her and the clutch pedal was not not working it was just stuck, i have managed to free it and driven her but is this just a sticky linkage? as the clutch now bites a little lower than before i think.
Any ideas/ help/ advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Andrew.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the pedal pivot point. Under the bonnet remove the screws holding the pedal to master cylinder linkage cover and check there first of all. Easier than the hydraulics. The pedal pivot bearings wear and they never get lubricated.
AB88
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alan,
Thanks for that, I will try that this afternoon when i get in, roughly how long should that take?
Cheers Andrew.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afternoon Andrew.
The screws retaining the cover can be difficult sometimes but otherwise it shouldn't take long. Get someone to operate the clutch pedal when the cover is off while you watch the movement.
It will be worth spraying some lubricant from inside up past both pedals as well.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another thought Andrew. There is another mechanical part of the clutch operation and that is the pushrod from the slave cylinder operating the release mechanism in the bell house. Unfortunately this is hidden so can't be visually checked.
Was the clutch pedal stuck solid or was there any movement at all? It does sound a mechanical fault rather than hydraulic. If you want I can give you the clutch system free play and height of the pedal from the floor figures.
AB88
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good morning Alan,
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, work grabbed the best part of the week.
Thanks for all of your advice I really appreciate it, turns out it was a slave cylinder in the end, so fifteen pounds,a considerable amount of clutch fluid and pedal pumps later we are mobile again. So happy days Smile Thanks again.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pleased you got it fixed Andrew. I don't recall ever coming across a seized slave cylinder. Wheel cylinders seize with monotonous regularity.
When my Land Rover started losing clutch fluid I suspected the slave so I had the master changed as well. Dunsfold said I should replace the flexible hose as well which was done and that was leaking. Slave and master were OK although they had been on the Land Rover for a very long time so really it was worth changing them.
AB88
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good morning Alan,
Just to let you know I had never had a slave stuck before so yes stuck pedal very strange, good idea about master though so will do that ASAP so all done. Not sure but reasonably certain clutch fluid approximately 6 or seven years old. As a novice I am slowly learning lots of things so as a matter of course am changing brake fluid as well this week. Thank you so much for all your advice I really appreciate it. I will keep you posted on progress.
Thanks again.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're welcome Andrew. Don't forget, there's plenty of knowledge on this forum and you can ask away and no one will consider your question silly unlike another site I'm on. What someone doesn't know someone else will.
AB88
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay Thanks Alan,
Thanks again, not sure why people on the other forum would think like that it just nice to help people and to be honest receive help and advice in my case.
Have a good week.
Cheers Andrew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: