Petrol engine timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Petrol engine timing Reply with quote
2.5 litre petrol engine. People with these engines (and 2.25 litre petrols. Where do you find the timing is best set for these engines.
I normally run on LPG which runs much more advanced than petrol. I am also trying to get her set right for petrol. The service manual settings are all but useless now as they were for 3 star petrol not for modern unleaded. The idea is to have 2 marks on the distributor so that I can change the timing easily when I change fuel. For a short time I can just run petrol a bit too advanced, but I don't want to do it for a longer run.
I am looking into more advanced ignition system options for the future, but for the time being I would just like to get it about right. These engines are very forgiving, but it feels like it's a bit advanced when pulling hard.

Opinions please,
John.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning John.
I timed my 2.5 by ear. I did post how I did it some time ago but I don't want to bore anyone. If you're interested pm me and I tell you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: