Front crankshaft oil seal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you checked the pipe at the lifter pump? Is the lifter pump and is it the one with a glass bowl? That type has been superseded by the same pump as used on Tdi engines and it's far better.
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
Have you checked the pipe at the lifter pump? Is the lifter pump and is it the one with a glass bowl? That type has been superseded by the same pump as used on Tdi engines and it's far better.

Nope, Iíve fitted a new lift pump which is the one with the glass bowl. It appears to be working fine however noticed already there is some sediment in the bowl so beginning to think possibly there is a blockage or build up somewhere near the tank.

Havenít seen the new tdi ones, do these fit with crankcase or operate different?
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Ash.
I got fed up with the poor quality of the pattern parts glass bowl lifter pumps so I went to a main dealer. Land Rover no longer use the glass bowl ones so I got a Tdi one. It comes with a couple of rubber pipes to connect to the existing ones. It fits in the same place and works the same except it's much better.
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cleaned the glass bowl from any sediment and checked the feeder/return pipe which appears worse for wear so have ordered a replacement.

It now seems to be running extra rich and still lumpy, did some minor adjustments to the mixture screw bit donít appear to have a massive effect. They where only minor mind.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Ash.
Remove the air filter hose and check the choke flap is not sticking partially shut.
I know you had the carburettor rebuilt recently and that may be the cause. Zeniths are notoriously difficult to rebuild as in some cases separating the top part can result in distortion resulting in an air leak which causes the mixture to be rich. I spent a fortune over a number of years getting my Zeniths restored and the first one done about 9 years ago is still on the Land Rover and less than a quarter of a turn on the mixture screw upsets the running even after all that time. Last year's MOT showed the emissions were 0.83% CO (up to 4.5% allowed) and 200 hydrocarbons (up to 1200 allowed.) If you can't get it to run properly then go back to the rebuilder and tell him the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Engines All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: