Front crankshaft oil seal/poor running
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It could be vapour lock, difficult to diagnose the problem without actually seeing it.
Does the fuel line from the pump to the carburettor run under the thermostat housing? That could possibly cause a vapour lock. I fitted a longer length and it no longer runs under the housing but over it. I've had no problems with this hot weather.
Another cause could be too high a float level in the carburettor. Don't try and check it yourself but get the rebuilder to do it.
One more thing, how well does it start when cold and hot?
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fuel line runs behind the thermostat housing similar to yours by the sounds of it. Its not an official land rover fuel pipe Part Number 587686 which looks slightly thinner and doesn't have the inline filter. I was thinking of getting a braided hose to reflect the heat and possibly putting the inline filter under the dizzy closer to the pump if this would stop some of the fuel evaporation?

Doens't seem to bad, when it starts its not straight away but a few turns. I always assumed this was down to the fuel evaporation.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ash, my Land Rover takes a while to start from hot and this is down to the fuel in the carburettor expanding and flowing into the inlet manifold. After it starts there is a bit of black smoke and pressing the accelerator operates the accelerator pump in the carburettor and makes it worse. From cold it starts instantly even after a long time.
Your electrics seem OK so it looks like fuel related.
My fuel filter which is a metal one which can be dismantled and washed out is just a few inches away from the carburettor. It could be the fuel lifter pump but substitution is the only check. There was a thread on the forum of a member having fuel problems and he fitted the genuine Tdi lifter pump from a main dealer and that solved it. That was some time ago so I suspect the thread no longer exists.

Last edited by Alan Drover on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds slightly similar to mine in all fairness.

I've got a metal one that can be cleaned however should the filter be facing from the fuel coming the tank e.g fuel goes into filter section then into main bit or facing towards the carb in main chamber then into filter to carb which how it is following IN and OUT on the case?

I'm tempted to get a Delphi TDI one since it fits take it this also has a filter of some sort and provides better power? Found this on Brit-car https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/538193/0/fuel_lift_pump if its the correct one?

[/URL]
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my filter which I bought from Ratsport from London, one end screws on and off. This is the end that faces the carburettor.
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quick update, change the carbs no real effect or be it slightly better initially then was as it was before.

Found a large blockage in on the the emission pipes, appeared to be some sort of green plastic thing that had been broken down. Removed it and placed the Zenith back on, now itís running ereactically and still cuts out.

Thursday is the next mission to make an attempt to diagnose the problem.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep us informed Ash, I'm still thinking about what's wrong but I am intrigued about the green plastic blockage and where it could have come from.
One thought though, is the plastic insulating block under the carburettor OK and the gaskets as well?
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
Keep us informed Ash, I'm still thinking about what's wrong but I am intrigued about the green plastic blockage and where it could have come from.
One thought though, is the plastic insulating block under the carburettor OK and the gaskets as well?

So am I, itís like a plug of some sort quite a soft plastic.It should be fine, not long replaced it and appears all in order.

Iím beginning to think it some ways itís not firing right, perhaps it is the dizzy and maybe worth getting a new electronic dizzy.

Iíll post a update tomorrow evening.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't get an electronic distributor. I bought a 123 years ago and it was dreadful. There was no performance whatsoever. It developed a misfire so the supplier told me to return it. In the meantime I fitted the correct distributor for the 2.5 engine and performance was restored. I had a spare 2.5 distributor rebuilt by the Distributor Doctor and fitted with electronic ignition about 8 years ago and have done nothing to it apart from the occasional drop of oil.
Electronic distributors don't give enough vacuum advance that the low compression Land Rover engines need. The cost of the rebuild was about half the price of an electronic one.
Beware the cheap and nasty rubbish that is widely available on the internet.
AJT4
A Hopeless Case !
A Hopeless Case !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thatís useful to know! I was possibly looking to get a Lucus one rather than any copyís however some bits have popped into my head.

So the front crank went, therefore oil has been coming out and as a result a lack of oil in the timing cover circulating around. Perhaps the timing chain is worn, distorted or something else is worn in there as a result which would cause this poor running/misfire?

When breaking possibly the chain is coming off, if I rev the engine at idle and I let go it doesnít cut out. Iíve also pushed the ignition coil back and forth at stationary to replicate breaking it also has no effect. Appears weight related when the engine is moving forward, doesnít appear to happen in reverse at all.

Just an idea...
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ash, you could get a 25D4 from any vehicle and the Distributor Doctor will rebuild it to suits your engine if you tell him what engine it is. There are no proper Lucas distributors any more, they're now cheap and nasty Chinese copies. Even a 45D4 will do as that can be rebuilt to suit.
Have you checked for any play in the distributor? See if there is any side to side movement.
Back to the fuel supply it's worth checking the fuel pick up pipe on the tank under the driver's seat. Before you remove it make sure you've got a new gasket and disconnect the battery. Pull the pipe out and check for any partial blockages. It's best to run the tank low on petrol first.As it tends to cut out on coming to a halt it could be something blocking the pipe. Do this in a well ventilated area and no sparks or naked flames.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Engines All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: