Gearbox i.d.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thesignaller
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Gearbox i.d. Reply with quote
Hello
The serial number on the box is 2460000A. Can anyone please tell me the year of build and in what models it may have been used. It has been suggested it is out of a one ton. As my vehicle is an SWB can I assume this is a later transplant?
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
See James Taylor's 'Land Rover Series 3 Specification Guide', pages 43-44. The 246 prefix is for the Easy-Change LT76 gearbox used with 4-cylinder petrol engine in One Ton 'and other special models'. He says a change took place in August 1973 from gearbox number 246-00171A, so yours may date from shortly before that (I think you may have missed a digit out - possibly another zero? [was yours the first of these?] - as the serial number appears to be 5 digits generally) I won't quote anything further he says about these gearboxes as even James Taylor appears to me to contradict himself about them in two or three places, and you'd need to read it for yourself and come to your own conclusions if it matters to you.
Thesignaller
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, I'll double check the S/No. on Monday when I go to the repairers who quoted the number.
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be aware that Land Rover serial numbering was not particularly reliable. I had a Series3 88" which had the old all digit VIN number. It had a 5 bearing engine. The newer 'SALL' alphanumeric VIN number system had started the year before the 5 bearing engines were even released. Also, the VIN plate was in the wrong place under the bonnet with no rivet marks where it should have been fitted. There was nothing 'wrong' with this - it is just the way that the company operated, stockpiling chassis and parts until they were needed.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: