Replacement Tyres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Compo81
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Replacement Tyres Reply with quote
HI Folks, I need some new tyres for my Series 3 Diesel landrover. I would like some thing that is road and green lane useful. I only do approx. 3000 miles per year. Has anyone got any suggestions. I am currently using 7.50 16c Radials. Thanks
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Compo81.
Are your current tyres tubed or tubeless? If tubed it would be best to replace the tubes as well. It's not a good idea to fit tubes into tubeless tyres because the latter have a rougher inside which will chafe a tube. If tubed the choice of tyre is less than tubeless.
The nearest "modern" size nearest to 7.50 x 16 is 235/85 x 16. It's really a personal choice. I'm using 7.50 x 16 tubeless Goodyear G90's on Wolf wheels but I'm not sure whether standard 7.50 wheels are suitable for tubeless.
Tubes are of dubious quality. The best place to get them is Vintage Tyres at Beaulieu Motor Museum. Keep us informed, maybe someone else is using tubed tyres.
By the way when I was descending Hurstbourne hill at about 9am Sunday September 30th, a dark VW flashed its lights, was that you?
If you see a Series 3 sporting a large poppy on its grill, that's me.
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iíve got Michelin XZLís on my Series 3 in 7.50R16. They are more an off-road that all terrain but are widely available at a reasonable price. The metric equivalent of 235/85R16 cost more for these though.

If you want a more road or all terrain pattern, BF Goodrich are available in 235/85R16 and are good for 60k miles in my experience. They are good on road and not bad off road so will be perfect for green laning.

Iíve got Cooper ATRís on my 90, which are another good compromise between road use and occasional green laning.

Let us know how you get on. Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rich, I didn't know that XZL's came in 7.50 x 16. Might be worth considering to put on my 4 spare Wolf wheels. Are they tubeless though? I used to run 7.50 XCL's on LWB rims before I got the G90's on Wolf wheels. XCL's are directional so I had 2 spares.
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan, I think theyíre tubeless but google suggests they can be run with tubes too. Theyíre not directional so you just need the one spare. The 7.50ís are more common than the 235/85ís so youíll have no issue finding a set.

Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have 7.50 X 16 Michelin XZLs on tubeless standard Land Rover steel wheels on both my Stage Ones, although all my spares are still tubed on the older tube-type wheels - the tyres can be used with tubes or tubeless on tubeless wheels.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Compo81, I sent you a pm.
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have 7.50 x 16 XZL's on my 88", they are on defender tubeless rims. They are getting on a bit and starting to crack in places. So I too have been looking around and have been thinking of getting some 6.5" wolf rims and 900 x 16 Petlas, hopefully to get that 1 Ton look. They are the only make I believe (could be wrong though!) that are the same overall diameter as the old 1 Ton tyres but still almost as narrow, as unfortunately the similar diameter metric 255/100/R16 (often fobbed off as 900 x 16) are waaay too wide, look wrong at will have interference issues on turning.
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome back Adie.
I think you will find that 9.00 x 16 will be overgeared with the 4 cylinder engine. The 1 tons had the 2.6 6 cylinder engine and I believe the ratios in the transfer box are different and you'll need a 1 ton speedometer.
I measured the diameter of a Wolf wheel fitted with a new Goodyear G90 and it's about 30 inches. It will be more with a 9.00. I weighed one of my Wolf wheels with a G90 and it tips the scale at about 6 stone so it will be heavier with a 9.00. A 2.5 petrol has about the same power as the 2.6.
Best to stick to 7.50's on Wolf wheels.
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that Alan. I agree with the weight issue, 900's are around 34" tall so their weight must well exceed 6 stone. I think 1 tons also had extended spring shackles. They do have a great presence though with those tyres!

1 Ton Land Rover by Adrian Tyler, on Flickr

1 Ton Land Rover (2) by Adrian Tyler, on Flickr
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adie, I saw the Land Rover in your picture at a local show a few years ago.
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has also featured in the LR magazines a few times too. The 900ís look good but the gearing would need to be changed to compensate.

Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've consulted "The Bible" (James Taylor's book) and all 1 tons were fitted with the "Easy Change" transfer box which was synchro and high or low ratio could be selected while on the move. As I thought this transfer box has lower ratios to compensate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: