Discovery 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Other Land Rovers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Discovery 2 Reply with quote
As I have now got one, I thought I would start a thread Very Happy

It drives well, but was standing for about 6 months before I bought it. I was most interested in the things which are difficult to fix - Self levelling suspension, Active Cornering Enhancement, general electronic systems etc. All of which work properly. The issue I have is a speed related whine, which although not loud, is more noticeable when the power comes off. I have checked the transfer box oil level which was low. Is it likely to be rear diff bearings? Or something else?

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
Alan Drover
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It could be anything John, gearbox, transfer box or axles, not easy to isolate. Do what Land Rover drivers do. So long as it doesn't get any worse, ignore it.
knappster
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Id just turn the stereo up! Smile

It might be worth getting a transmission expert to take a look. But if the gearbox oil was low, have you checked the axle oil levels too?

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Checked the rear axle today. The oil didn't look too bad. Came out black to start with and then went green. Mind you, I seemed to put a lot more in than the volume that drained out. The drain plug had a little black sludge on it, but nothing metallic came out. When did Land Rover start fitting plastic filler plugs?
I will check the front axle and the wheel bearings when I get the chance. It is looking like it's just a worn transfer box. Good used ones are not a lot of money so I may go down that road eventually. Also, mine has no centre diff lock fitted, so I could win one with a box change (bird in a bush etc.) It's got to be worthwhile checking everything else though.

BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I checked the front axle today. The oil looked O.K. I had to put about 1 litre in as it was low. I could see where it had been weeping out of the pinion seal. There is a small amount of play in the double cardon joint, but not enough to even cause a clunk. I will probably give it a greasable service kit at some stage.
Overall a small change to the transmission whine afterwards, but not enough to point directly to it. I am still veering towards worn transfer box bearings. Not obvious play in the output shaft bearings so it might be the layshaft bearings or a worn input gear. Either way, I think it will have to come out to find out for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Other Land Rovers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: