Heater Control - Cold/Hot Flap Activation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Heater Control - Cold/Hot Flap Activation Reply with quote
Hi Guys

Not a new subject I suspect but couldn't see anything relevant. Have a 90. But heating is nigh on non existent. Hotwater into and out of heater matrix as evidenced by both hoses being hot. My assumption is that the flap control from the hot/cold selector on the dash is not functioning. Fan multi-speed is also functioning.

So, here's my question. Where do you access said flap and where might one find the cable (?)
connection for it?

Have looked for diagrams but not found anything that was written for idiots (ME Shocked)

Any other thoughts folks?

Thanks
Gerry
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Gerry.
I'm not familiar with the 90 heating system but I have looked through the workshop manual I have and can find nothing about the operation of the heater controls. The only thing I can suggest is to have someone operate the heater controls while you look at the cable on top of the heater matrix.
Big John is much more knowledgeable on this and I thought he would've replied. I suggest you send him a pm asking if he can help.
Sorry I can't help but there's no info in the manual.
Gerry
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alan

Many thanks for the response. I got it working last night with the info and exploded views I managed to glean off the interweb. Essentially, the cable was zip tied far too tightly and restricted the movement of the control flap between cold and hot. Also liberally doused the mechanism in WD40. HEAT...sheer bleedin' luxury!

On another note: this may require reposting elsewhere, but am sharing if not already known. The warning lamp panel on my dash only had the oil and battery lights illuminate with the 'lights on' symbol flashing on/off intermittently. Assumed it might be connectors or wiring. Checked connectors and applied contactor spray. No joy. Checked wiring and noticed if harnesses moved this affected lights. Long story short. Removed PCB and a colleague who's an Electronic Tech, checked the solder on the PCB side connector pins. Virtually every one showed solder cracking around the circumference of the pins. All re-soldered and hey presto. I have a full array of functioning warning lights. Landies do suffer with....ahem...a spot of NVH... Smile

NB. you will need a magnifying glass to view the state of the solder on the PCB.
websnail
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gerry wrote:
Essentially, the cable was zip tied far too tightly and restricted the movement of the control flap between cold and hot. Also liberally doused the mechanism in WD40. HEAT...sheer bleedin' luxury!

Sounds like the type of fix we all like Very Happy

1972 88" Hard top with windows (Daisy)

Previously my daily drives:
109" Series three station wagon
110" Hard top with windows
109" FFR pick up, 24 volt
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well done with the heater. I did read your post, but got way laid with something else at home and forgot to give some advice on what to look for - Sorry.
The wiring on early 90s and 110s gets fairly dodgy with age, particularly the connectors in the offside rear of the engine bay. I have a few bypass links in mine which need to be fixed properly, when I get time to do it.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: