Urgent help required in fitting a tin top!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Urgent help required in fitting a tin top! Reply with quote
Hi guys.

Ok, the wife has invited a group of her running mates for an evening of Yuletide debauchery at our new house! Most of them live in the next village and I have been nominated as the transport back in the Landy (potentially multiple trips!) as she thought it would be a good laugh as they could all have a drink and they are also a hardy lot that happily run in the rain so will not be phased by sitting in the back of an old Landy....

However!

The Canvas is reaching the point of total destruction and if it rains it will be desperate in the back even for a hardy bunch!...so

I have a hard top sitting on my allotment and a rear door which would make things warmer and safer with no drunk women falling out the back! BUT..There is no fitting kit, nuts or bolts of any sorts. Can someone who has one detail everything I need to attach it so I can order the parts?

I need to drive roofless to the allotment and fit it to drive home again! I need to be able to do it in one day obviously and I have 10 days to be ready to do it!! HELP!
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Adie,

The hardtop on my Series 3 was fitted using 8 bolts. The only difficulty was getting long bolts to go through the tilt frame tubes in the corners. I got the bolts from a local engineering factor.

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could try Dunsfold for the fitting kit if you can't get bolts locally (or the partygoers could hire themselves a minibus!)
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alan, I did suggest the minibus by I worked out cheaper!

Hi Rich can you tell me any of the sizes you bought? The long ones that go through the tilt tubes could you use studding and nuts?
websnail
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adie wrote:
Hi Rich can you tell me any of the sizes you bought? The long ones that go through the tilt tubes could you use studding and nuts?

To do it right, they have thick rubber bushes/washers but yes, you could use studding and nuts, repair washers would be helpful too.
How long do you plan on have it fitted?

1972 88" Hard top with windows (Daisy)

Previously my daily drives:
109" Series three station wagon
110" Hard top with windows
109" FFR pick up, 24 volt
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Websnail, once on it may as well stay on till the spring, but will have to come off by the middle of March due to work. So, 3 months approx. But driven every day!
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used the one Land Rover fitting bolt to get a similar size from the engineering suppliers. The thread size I donít remember but the bolts and nuts were 7/16 size. The length of the bolts were around 3 inches with a wide washer at each end to fit across the tube which would take a soft top frame.

Apologies Adie, but it was a long time ago and my Series three is at a friendís farm in Somerset, hence the somewhat basic description.

Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Rich. Will drag out the roof at the weekend and do a bit of measuring up.

One thing I am worried about is that the top of my windscreen is fitted for the canvas roof and has shark tooth like protrusions to hook onto the canvas. I thought this would be bolted on to allow the fitment of a roof or truckcab, however it is riveted on! I can see from inside the cab, there are holes in the windscreen that should be for a roof but are covered over by the soft top rail.

The only way I can see is to either get another windscreen or drill through the holes in the screen I have to the rail above it so it can be bolted back on after keeping everything lined up and then drill all the rivets out to separate the two.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Is a soft top screen normally riveted on with this shark tooth rail and not easily converted to a tin top or truckcab?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adie, wouldn't it be simpler to get your wife's running mates to run to and from the party?
Another item you'll need is the rubber windscreen to hard top seal. Some taxi firms have minibuses. Couldn't you persuade Mrs. A that the minibus option would be the most sensible in view of the aggro involved in fitting a hard top to your Land Rover. You could say that you can't get all the necessary parts to fit the hardtop in time.
websnail
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adie wrote:
One thing I am worried about is that the top of my windscreen is fitted for the canvas roof and has shark tooth like protrusions to hook onto the canvas. I thought this would be bolted on to allow the fitment of a roof or truckcab, however it is riveted on! I can see from inside the cab, there are holes in the windscreen that should be for a roof but are covered over by the soft top rail

I never knew this, my FFR was a truckcab!
It does seem like fair bit of work for a nights use! (yes I know you were going to leave it on for three months Smile. Smile
It would be nice to be able to swap over as you wished but you have not got too long to sort it Sad Confused

1972 88" Hard top with windows (Daisy)

Previously my daily drives:
109" Series three station wagon
110" Hard top with windows
109" FFR pick up, 24 volt
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good call with the windscreen to hardtop seal. My Series 3 didnít have one and driving in heavy rain could be interesting! Surprised

Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok guys, I am proceeding with attempting the roof conversion for said gathering! Surprised

I have ordered what I think I will need using info from here and measuring up the roof and windscreen.

Parts should be here by the weekend although I am away over the weekend till Sunday evening so that gives me 4 days to get this all done between Monday and Thursday! eeek!

One issue I have if anyone can help is the long bolt that Rich mentioned, the genuine part has a collar that sits in the top of the tilt tube, they are easy enough to source, however, there are two types...

AYR 500110/MRC 9833 (The same part)

AYR 500110 or MRC 9833 by Adrian Tyler, on Flickr

or MRF 338741

MRF 338741 by Adrian Tyler, on Flickr

I can't seem to get any dimensions so difficult to know which one I need. BOTH are listed as Series 3 roof bolts, however the tubes on my 88 are all the same length so not as if I need 2 of each. Also the rear ones near the back of the vehicle have obstructions not too far below so the long one (if too long) will not fit.

Anyone have any better ideas via the part numbers?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Adie.
The only part number I can find in my 1977 Optional Parts List is 338741 for all 4 long bolts. Might be worth enquiring at Dunsfold what part number supersedes it. My guess is that maybe one is imperial and the other metric.
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Alan. I had already ordered the short ones, however after your reply above I did a bit of scaling in photoshop as I know the threads are M8. Looks like the long ones are the right length. I have ordered some just now.

Will have to try and sell the shorter ones on ebay at a later date.

At least I should have everything I need instead of being short of bits which would be worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: