Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
There's always one smug individual isn't there?

One has to be confident of ones fuel content Paul whilst driving back to mothers via 'Greenlands' Laughing Laughing
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was talking to my mate today about the money I've spent on the Land Rover in the last couple of months and he said that to fix the electronic handbrake on his Range Rover would be about £600 plus the labour in partially dismantling it to get at it. To fix the fuel sender involves a fair bit of dismantling too.
His Range Rover is a luxury vehicle but at those costs I'm pleased with my Land Rover Series 3 which is holding its value much better.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan, if you’ve got the deluxe trim and dished bonnet, your Landy was luxury for it’s time too. Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rich, it's de luxe but not dished. There's no way I could get a 40k Wolf wheel and tyre up there and I wouldn't be able to open the bonnet. No de luxe trim but very comfortable Exmoor Trim high back seats complete with the Land Rover logo.
We're currently watching an episode of Vera and from an interior shot from the rear,when the Land Rover stopped Vera pushed a lever on the transmission tunnel forwards thus proving P392 SUM has an auto box.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was a discussion today at the pub about the term monkey bike. Someone claimed that his 1960 Trobike was the first to be called but it was the Honda Z100 produced from 1961 onwards when the term was coined because of the ape like riding position. It was then applied retrospectively to other mini motor cycles including the Corgi from the 1950's. A farmer's daughter in my home village used to ride a Corgi in the 1950's. Corgis were the civilian version of the wartime Excelsior Wellbike.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Every day’s a school day Alan! Smile

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Diesel at one of the local supermarkets is now £1.23.9 per litre. Still not cheap but a move in the right direction! Smile

I was at Bristol crown court today with work. A group of men were being sentenced for their part in stealing land rovers and breaking them up. The four got a total of 28 years. Great result. Very Happy

Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
There was a discussion today at the pub about the term monkey bike. Someone claimed that his 1960 Trobike was the first to be called but it was the Honda Z100 produced from 1961 onwards when the term was coined because of the ape like riding position. It was then applied retrospectively to other mini motor cycles including the Corgi from the 1950's. A farmer's daughter in my home village used to ride a Corgi in the 1950's. Corgis were the civilian version of the wartime Excelsior Wellbike.

Because I am, ahem, a mere youngster, cough cough, I only knew the monkeybike as the Honda Dax (designated the ST series) which ran from the late 60's until the early 80's. A mate of mine used to use one for work - when he got to his office he simply picked it up and carried it into his office and put it under his desk until it was time to go home.

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
The four got a total of 28 years. Great result.

7 years average each, paroled in half that, 3 and a half year holiday at the taxpayers' expense. Yeah, great. If there's one thing I love more than people who waste their money on expensive cars, it's helping to support people who steal them to sell to other people who waste their money on expensive cars. Rolling Eyes
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Front page headlines in today's Western Daily Press.
"Jail for Land Rover Chop Shop Gang."
I agree with Geoff that the sentences are too lenient.

Last edited by Alan Drover on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
AND, Rich - where d'you get 28 years from? Check your arithmatic. I just looked again at the link you posted in the Land Rover Watch thread. 3 men got FOUR years each, the other TWO years 2 months. A fifth got a 6 month sentence suspended for 2 years. Ridiculous sentences for the amounts of money involved. Oh well, less time for us all to provide them with free room & board.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suppose it's some consolation that the ringleader and others will be subject subject to a Proceeds of Crime Hearing to pay back thousands of pounds. Bet they will suddenly become "bankrupt!"
It's these ridiculous keyless systems that are to blame and the fact that the Legend and decoder can be legally bought for £700!!! It was the tracker on a motor home stolen from Cambridge traced by its owner to the site that led to the arrests and convictions.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I arrived home from the pub today Mrs. D was watching a DVD of a ballet so I sat down with my cup of tea and watched. I was amazed at the agility and flexibility of the performers and how much easier it would be crawling under a Land Rover with that agility and flexibility.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geoff, take a chill pill! The 28 years was told to me by the TV reporter outside the court. It is likely to be as a result of all of the combined sentences before any reductions for guilty pleas and the suspended sentence for the “mechanic” who worked for the main offender.

If I get my head bitten off for posting what I thought was some good news regarding the course the spate of Landy thefts, I’ll steer clear of it in future.

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't do that please Rich. It's very useful and helpful information for us all. The more we know about Land Rover thefts and how they're done, the more we can do to try and prevent them.
It would be useful to know the range of these decoders that read the keyfob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 86 of 90

Jump to: