Difficult selecting forward gears after reverse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lotuseater
Newcomer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Difficult selecting forward gears after reverse Reply with quote
Please advise: Our series 3 is generally running really well, but after being in reverse, about 30% of the time, you simply can't engage any forward gear, tried dipping clutch again etc but won't go into gear. The only way seems to be to re-engage reverse and move back again a little further, then try again. Sometimes having to repeat this a few times.

Once forward gears are available, they're all fine. No undue noises. Sometimes finding reverse results in a little careful 'crunching', but nothing too alarming.

Is this likely to completely let us down - i.e we'll be totally unable to select forward gears?
What's causing it?
What's the fix?

I'm assuming it's a gearbox out job. I'm confident the linkage is all good, even fitted a new gear lever as the old ball end had worn on previous one.

Seems like it'll be a 'gearbox' winter, as my Lotus is dripping more than seems acceptable!

Thanks
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Lotuseater.
Have you checked the oil level? Another possibility is that the clutch pushrod to the master cylinder may need adjusting.
What Lotus have you got? My mate's got a 1972 Élan Sprint and a 1973 Europa JPS Special.
lotuseater
Newcomer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will check oil level, but think it should be OK as I only filled it from empty a few months ago and there no more than a small drip on the garage floor. Best to check the simple stuff first though ! I'll also lift the selectors off, possibly (after checking oil), before going down the route of dropping the gearbox (got a bolt on crossmember).

I have a 1969 Lotus Europa (fully restored it a couple of years ago - took 2.5 yrs vs Land Rover 12months. Thats the dry weather car.
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As the problem doesn't seem to affect the forward gears, once you are amongst them, I would suggest that the issue is probably down to a worn selector shoe that is catching on the slip ring.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
lotuseater
Newcomer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you - will make sure to have a look at the selector shoe(s). Is it likely to be fairly obvious?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Gearboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: