2019 Events

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Events Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you want?
Off roaring events
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Social Events at Places of Interest
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Green Lane Runs
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Camping Weekends
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Shows 4x4
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Shows Transport and Steam
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

hippo dave
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: 2019 Events Reply with quote
Right people, i am fed up with the apathy in the membership of the club.
We are a national club and we want to get every one involved in events.
So over to you lot, apart from the National and Road Runs what do people want to do.
I know the Yorkshire Members have a
very good local group that do their local events and shows which is fantastic, but why only does this happen up north.
We have tried running weekend events in the Midlands and have had poor attendance.
Is it the cost? venue? event type?
TBH I know Frank and a few others tear their hair out every year over events.
So give us a clue what you want to do!
All suggestions will be considered I would love to see more members of the club as it is a fantastic community, and I really love seeing all the regulars as they are really good friends ,but their is
a lot of members we don't see that could also be really good friends.
So go on come and join in, come to the National or give us an idea what you would come to.
PLEASE STOP BEING SILENT MEMBERS

previous :
SIII 88 ex army
SIII lightweight
Disco II
Freelander TD4
SIII 109 ex-raf ht.
Range Rover Classic
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have voted. I would have put two choices but the poll won’t let me.

Unfortunately, my work makes it difficult to take time off at what is considered peak times, bank holidays in particular due to demand. This rules out a lot of club events for me. The other issue is that people do join a club for different reasons.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have voted.

Frank and myself have had many conversations over the years about this problem of - shall we call it 'lack of activity', and we have never come up with a definitive answer. I how that the thing that annoys the most is people promising their time to help at an event and then just not turning up. It is difficult to organise events for a national club as members have to travel great distances to reach it. The cost of fuel and travelling time may be an issue. There are also a lot of members that will never be seen as they join the club for car insurance reasons and play no active part in club activities. I used to run a Southern area section of the club and we ran regular local green laning events and other activities, and even that was difficult to manage as we were always reliant on a small dedicated core of members to participate.

This is a good club with a sensible attitude. It's good to see some further attempts to motivate members. As far as I'm concerned, the more you put in the more you get out of club membership.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was a local section rep for a national club and apathy or lack of involvement by members is always an issue. Some are much more inclined to get involved than others. As you mentioned John, some join for the insurance benefits, others for the forums and technical advice.

Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some will probably only join these days just to join in on 'Tumbleweed' !! Way to go Paul Wink
Adie
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would have voted for two, but unfortunately can't
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nearly impossible for me to commit to anything that is more than a few weeks ahead - I run an out of hours service which makes life rather hard when it comes to planning things outside of normal working hours. I do enjoy attending the various shows when I can, but it is usually a last minute opportunity.

Be interesting to see how many members take part in the poll though.

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
websnail
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too have voted.
In my case, I work almost every weekend.
Also, having started playing with Landys decades ago, my landy interests have changed.

I too know how hard it is to get people motivated.
Running a club, a very few people are left to do everything, whilst many just want things to happen.
Frank deserves a medal for his dedication to this club.Fact.

1972 88" Hard top with windows (Daisy)

Previously my daily drives:
109" Series three station wagon
110" Hard top with windows
109" FFR pick up, 24 volt
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
websnail wrote:
Running a club, a very few people are left to do everything, whilst many just want things to happen.

Agreed.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigJohn wrote:
websnail wrote:

Agreed.

All on here will agree.

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hear, hear as well.
In the 1980's I was the Regional Secretary for the Home Counties South region of the MG Owners' Club. In 1985 a group of local areas got together and organized a regional show at Wellington Country Park near Reading. Each member of the management committee was allocated a task and the whole show was a great success. Another very successful show was held at the same venue in 1986. Some organizers wanted another in 1987 but I pointed out that we'd had 2 very successful years and people would likely say that they'd been for a couple of years and wanted a change so we didn't hold any more.
Over the years shows declined in popularity with traders not coming and therefore less people so even more less traders. Eventually this type of show folded with road runs taking over.
There are 2 shows local to me that I and the dogs attend. There is a big show at Oare House north of Pewsey in Wiltshire. This is a fairly formal event with tractors, cars, motorcycles etc. I go as a spectator.
The other show (unashamed plug coming) is the Longstock Vintage Working Weekend held over a weekend in September. This is smaller than Oare but much less formal. It's held in a field along Danebury Road, Longstock near Stockbridge in Hampshire SO20 postcode. Again there are tractors, cars, motorcycles etc with overnight camping available and a Saturday night disco and live music event in the beer tent. Any vehicle over 25 years old can enter on the day to exhibit. There are various stands and autojumble stalls.
The days of shows of one make of vehicle have long gone. It's much more interesting with all different makes. Apathy may be a part but people want variety these days. The popularity of Longstock hasn't waned over the many years I've been attending. A small group of members would be welcome with some publicity for the club.
The best way nowadays is to go in with other shows rather than trying a solo event.
I will ask Frank to include Longstock in the magazine when I have the dates. Day visitors welcome and Sunday is the better day for that.
frank
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If we are giving out medals i would like to add Marjorie to the list as she does as much as me and also the paper work for the club and events and goes to all the shows with me
Last week end was interesting to say the least!

There was phone calls, emails, Text messages, and visits all about the club and its Face book pages
It stated on the Friday evening at Club night, which was good and we sorted out a lot of things including a new venue for the club night and the Midland Run. then!!
daffys
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As you know Dave,A few pe0ple work behind the scenes to get events going . I am looking at 3 venues for the 2020 national I also looking at a camping weekend in September with a Greenlane day with a get together at night this will be in the Thetford forest . Last year I sorted out a eastern run but no members booked in so it was cancelled this is heart breaking as the amount of fuel , time and effort went into that . Also I try to attend as many events as I can this year I shall attend the National,The Peterborough Lro show my weekend above and also the Midland run now this takes a lot of effort as I am 95% wheelchair bound and also carry an oxygen cylinder so some events are not suitable for me this I can only apologise for ,now as per ticket allocation for shows Frank always says a free camping ticket for helping set up and run the stand I can't set up but I do sit and and help out also answer any questions . Now I have had to give up marshalling the off road course at the National I feel like a lost soul sitting in my 90 but I know I have my friends to help now what I'm trying to say is if a rather large wheelchair bound person can get to events I'm sure members can but some don't want to all want is 15 -20% off their car insurance we know as the amount of young souls was first question they asked when enquiring at shows about membership it will always be us core members that are seen at events because care about the club the people that are in it and the people that run it so all we can do is carry on doing our bit behind the scenes and hope we can attract more
Derek

Freelander td4
Defender 90 200TDi
websnail
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
frank wrote:
If we are giving out medals i would like to add Marjorie to the list as she does as much as me and also the paper work for the club and events and goes to all the shows with me

I'd also agree to that too Very Happy

Derek, I agree with you too, down here most Landy clubs have disbanded, for whatever reason. I don't even know if the off-road sites are still open.
Another club down here, stopped their road runs a few years ago too.
Even the steam related shows are thinning out.
My wife and I never go camping anymore, all equipment sold.

The first rule of starting/running any club is.....be aware it's harder than it looks and a thankless task.

Dave

1972 88" Hard top with windows (Daisy)

Previously my daily drives:
109" Series three station wagon
110" Hard top with windows
109" FFR pick up, 24 volt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Events Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: