V8 Engine Swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_bigot
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: V8 Engine Swap Reply with quote
This is a subject which may have been covered on this forum previously but please can anyone give me some advice regarding an engine swap for my Series 3 SWB diesel, i would like a V8 engine, my mechanic has some donor vehicles with P38 engines but he is unsure whether the S3 gearbox will mate to the P38, if the P38 comes with a gearbox from the donor vehicle it would probably be automatic and would appreciate some advice from those who have done this before.

What other challenges will he meet on this endeavour? i.e. will he have to move the engine mounts? will he have to move the grille forward? anything else?

I mostly use my landy for RTV trials and the current diesel engine is just not adequate enough for this.

Your assistance would be most appreciated.
2011 Honda Deauville - Tina
2011 Skoda Fabia - B'Effy
Membership No 4258
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning the bigot.
You certainly don't want to use a P38 engine with all its associated electronic junk. If you want a V8 then an early Range Rover one if you could get one would be far better and simpler to maintain.
I'm no expert but I don't think the basic Series transmission could take the torque of the V8.
You could always go the way of the 200Tdi diesel. Members have fitted them and would be able to advise.
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would go with a TDi200 engine. Take the flywheel housing off and use the housing for the Series in it's place. The back of the block and the engine mount positions are the same. The exhaust pipe fitting is really awkward, but what some people do is to fit the exhaust manifold and turbo from a TDi300. You still have to modify the exhaust downpipe, but it's much easier due to the higher turbo position. It's much more difficult if you try to use the 300TDi engine as there are many more differences. Your existing gearbox will be fine with the 200TDi setup. The radiator fitting is a bit of a workup as you have the intercooler to deal with. Again you can use the 200 or 300 options. The 200 intercooler is built into the rad with the 300 being separate. There are also oil coolers incorporated into some of them which can be a useful extra option.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If youre definitely after a V8 Series 3, it might be better to get one already converted. Youd be looking at either a 3.5 or 3.9 carb engine, although bear in mind that the engine will be powering a Landy with drum brakes, leaf springs and manual steering unless youve modified these too. Such engines are getting hard to find now so one already done might be the way forward. Such landies do come up on eBay quite often. I did find one over the weekend by chance but the listing ended just before I read your post!

You could sell your current Landy to fund it. There is a strong market for standard vehicles now and it would appeal to more buyers

My preferred option would be the Tdi. The 300Tdi is easier to find. However, its like chalk and cheese to a V8 fan! Wink Smile I had a V8 90 CSW some years ago and it was awesome! Id love another one!

Let us know what you decide.

Owner of a 200Tdi 90 and a soon-to-be 200Tdi Series 3...
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning the bigot.
I have found someone selling a 3.5 carburettor V8. He's in Hampshire. If you're interested I'll pm his phone number to you.
the_bigot
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: V8 Engine Swap Reply with quote
Many thanks for all your replies, i will print and pass to my mechanic. The 200tdi option may be the best one but the engines are expensive and seem to be hard to get.
Thanks Alan D for offer of phone number, i'll let you know what my mechanic thinks when i pick up the beast up from her fake MOT.
2011 Honda Deauville - Tina
2011 Skoda Fabia - B'Effy
Membership No 4258
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't make it clear that it is a V8 engine, not a complete vehicle, the bigot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: