Powerspark Lucas 25D Distributor Electronic from Simonsbbc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Modifications, Tips 'n' Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polochop
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Powerspark Lucas 25D Distributor Electronic from Simonsbbc Reply with quote
Has anyone had any trouble fitting electronic ignition from this company? I purchased the distributor along with new Double Silicone HT Leads & a Viper Dry Ignition sport Coil for my 2 1/4 1973 series 3 and as it had to go in for something else I asked my local garage to fit it for me. They report back that the Distributor has no output and is faulty. Simonsbbc have given me a list of diagnostics to carry out, which the garage have done and still it does not work.
Also generally what are thoughts on electronic ignition versus standard points etc?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening polochop
Some years ago I fitted a 123 electronic distributor to my Series 3 and power was down despite setting it up per the book. A misfire developed when the warranty had run out and the supplier asked me to return it. It got "lost" and I had a full refund which I spent on having a proper distributor rebuilt by the Distributor Doctor and fitted with Pertronix electronic ignition. I fitted a standard 2.5 distributor with points when I sent the 123 off and power was immediately restored.
The best thing to do is to send the original Lucas distributor that was fitted to your Land Rover to the Distributor Doctor for a rebuild telling him what vehicle it's for and getting him to fit electronic ignition.
ACR109Series2.5
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can report a different finding. Me? I'd go for 'electronical' sparks - and every time. In modern cars, points lost that fight 30 years back. SimonBBC stuff is usually very good.

This is on the open side of this forum so I can't go into real depth, but I have a 123ignition on mine, and prior to that, a SimonBBC jobby.

1) The SimonBBC Powerpsark was great. Made an immediate improvement. For relatively cheap power and bang-for-buck reliabilty, it's the way to go.

2) The 123ignition distributor has a dual advance curve function which I like lots. Running gas means I need two curves. An AEB Joker/Wolf doesn't quite cut it, but the 123ignition is very pricey. 123ignition falls short of being a proper mapped ignition, it's really aimed at classic car owners that can't get new dizzys as readily as us. So unless you've unusual requirements, that require you to mimic your now obsolete dizzy - some rare classic perhaps? - I'd run an LR specific SimonBBC.

3) Megajolt if you really want to get silly, and if you run gas you might. MJ gives real mapping, something the 123 ignition only pretends to do. For my particular requirements, and my time again I'd run Megajolt, even if a Laptop in a Series is a bit odd?

But most want it simple, not sure why yours is troublesome, but sorted, you won't regret the SimonBBC. Usually very easy to fit.
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've a Powerspark 35D fitted. No worries with fitting it.

Did you get sorted??

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerspark Lucas 25D Distributor Electronic from Simonsb Reply with quote
polochop wrote:
Has anyone had any trouble fitting electronic ignition from this company? I purchased the distributor along with new Double Silicone HT Leads & a Viper Dry Ignition sport Coil for my 2 1/4 1973 series 3 and as it had to go in for something else I asked my local garage to fit it for me. They report back that the Distributor has no output and is faulty. Simonsbbc have given me a list of diagnostics to carry out, which the garage have done and still it does not work.
Also generally what are thoughts on electronic ignition versus standard points etc?

If I remember correctly there is a tiny connector at the back of the electronics module inside the distributor. You can only see it when you lift module out. If this is disconnected you will have no output.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)
polochop
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Powerspark Lucas 25D Distributor Electronic from Simonsbbc Reply with quote
Kind of, the module was not working so they sent a replacement module which was swapped over so it works now, starts at least. new problem now as it wouldn't idle, it just kept on cutting out, had the carb cleaned and tuned. It was idling correctly when I picked it up from the garage but after a 30 min drive the idle speed was far too fast, to a point that it was difficult to put it in reverse gear, the crunching sound was horrendous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Modifications, Tips 'n' Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: