Here's my 109 - Not quite Land-rover Bingo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Post photos of your beloved Land Rover here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACR109Series2.5
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Here's my 109 - Not quite Land-rover Bingo. Reply with quote

LR 109

Here's mine....

It's not what most look for. This is a bitsa, seems 'numbers-matching' is what 'they' want. Whereas this has collected every toy in the box. Noise is my 'thing'.

Roverdrive
    Heystee PAS
    123ignition
    Santana PS10 Discs all-round
    Late Debender Servo & MC - G valve
    Heated screens
    Heaps and heaps of noise-reduction tricks:
    a) I bought the first ever Wright off-road matt.
    b)The now hard to find Ambulance fit S/S Twin box exhaust. Quiet.
    c) Noisekiller on everything
    d) LaSalle Headliner
    e) 10mm Stable matt lining.
    f) Full engine bay matting
    g) I'm always chasing the next noisiest source.
    4 x speaker Audio
    ACR kit on a 2.5
    BLOS x 2
    Galved everything
    Debender heater
    Proper rims. Proper tyres.
    Debender wash-wipe/heated rear screen.
    RM door-tops.

It all got done over the years. There's more stuff I've done and forgotten, but you know how it is... and many would say I've ruined it.

This one is made to be a 'driver', for family use. Put that little lot to the trailer-queen purists and they'll say most isn't needed. Which, if it was kept under a dust-sheet, is kinda true.

Equally, there's no big wheels, hi-lift, juvenile shonk, g*y-plate, half a dozen jerry-cans etc. Vanity Tonka-toy 'tat' is not really for me, but each to his own.

I'm minded to think, 'originality' is tending the flame, not worshipping the ashes. Umpteen museum-grade and undriven S1/S2 seems a bit pointless to me. I'm not sure where this fits best, because a game of Land-rover Bingo to end-up on the cover of LRO is not where it goes either.

Because it has been used all its life, in the family from new, there's next to nothing left of the original, thus the purists wouldn't consider it 'right'. Not one number matches - and I don't care. This sparks the perennial argument. But when explanation is required - for why mine is the 'original' - it'd be me set to lose.

Anyways, I like it. I shall place it as a 'Restomod'.

It's already as fast as any leafer needs to be, but jsut because.... when I've the time and money, it gets the 2.8 ACR piston set and Megajolt.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You seem a bit paranoid about the whole originality thing, but I think ' 'originality' is tending the flame, not worshipping the ashes' says it all - well said and very well expressed! It's your truck and looks like an unspoilt Landy to me.
ACR109Series2.5
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm afraid, I'm not the writer to that, " 'originality' is tending the flame, not worshipping the ashes" is to paraphrase a Mr. Gustav Mahler.

On er... other forums, the very suggestion that - for example - some things are far from up to the job for an everyday driver, gets howls of derision.

Even if those that howl, don't drive anywhere, I've become wary. Just touching the surface, you'll see a helluva lot of 'the deluded' in various camps of LR ownership. From the 'bearded-ones' with Indentikit bronze-green S1 at Eastnor, to the 'One-life' knuckle-dragger Monster-truck owner secretly wanting to be a red-neck, thus ripping up our lanes, and then the gangsta rapper imitators,'tis a broad church.

Last edited by ACR109Series2.5 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
On here, we are as accepting of standard and modified landies.some of the more abstract ones draw the odd comment but you won’t get ridiculed for having a vehicle that either stayed as it left the factory or one that has been altered. In fact, we like to see improvements being made! Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
ACR109Series2.5
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Improvements are a subjective thing. I can't be doing with rivet-counter originality, or come to that, the other extremes. But we're all different.

I've very proud of my country, which I understand is a very unfashionable thing - I believe in some circles, as a Brit I'm supposed to ashamed of our achievements? Sorry I can't be.

My local is a pretty pub in the prettiest ever village. Owning a classic Land-rover is part of that. For me, mod away, provided it passes the test. When you've done,can it still be parked outside my local. Mine still doesn't look out of place. Where the same can be said, go ahead.

Mine was used for our wedding. It was right.

The funniest, never bettered Land-rover site back in the day - you know the one - had a thread devoted to Land-rover 'wrongness'. The wags on there made it hilarious.

So if it's funny, you can rip into mine all you like!
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ACR109Series2.5 wrote:
I'm afraid, I'm not the writer to that, " 'originality' is tending the flame, not worshipping the ashes" is to paraphrase a Mr. Gustav Mahler.

Ha, ha! Smile I just googled it. Took some imagination to apply it to Land Rovers! (Can I suggest you/we are making a better job these days of 'tending the fire/flame' than the company are - though they pretend to, trading on the reputation)

I've used my Land Rovers as daily drivers for 28 years - I bought a V8 for a bit more speed and more oomph up hills, I like the cloth seats that came with it, and I'm happy with them as standard, but comfort is a personal choice. And 'variety is the spice of life', and indeed of Land Rovers. And - I'm certainly not ashamed of British achievements either, not least giving Land Rovers to the world! Smile
ACR109Series2.5
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Ha, ha! Smile I just googled it. Took some imagination to apply it to Land Rovers! (Can I suggest you/we are making a better job these days of 'tending the fire/flame' than the company are - though they pretend to, trading on the reputation)

I'm afraid as the original 'old grumpy' I take a pretty dim view of the way the market has gone in the last 25-30 years. I suspect if I put my real thoughts it'd be moderated. You see, we mustn't offend the 'entitled little luvs'. So I'll have to be a little less colourful. Suffice to say, that I can't be doing with modern-day LR and their customer's push to own cars to fit their 'drug-dealer's pram' ethos.

I don't blame LR at all. Sadly, crass bling sells cars.

I'd love your Stagey or a Weslake 6-pot. It is not to be. When i looked to replace the old 2.25 lump in there, this was in the late 90s. It was a V8 or if you didn't want to knock a galved bulkhead about, a V6. Else a 2.5. The later Tdi wasn't an option - too noisy for everyday anyway.

Hence I run a 2.5. Hopped-up with an ACR kit, it keeps up on hills, and gassed it's cheapish to run. But press on, and far more than just the brakes, it simply isn't safe. With the grunt it's got, it's as fast as I'd want a leafer.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 2.5 is a very good engine. Mine performs very well even on a 2.25 Zenith 36IV. I suspect an SU would release more power. Not far from home is what is supposed to be the steepest straight hill in the country at 1 in 7. There is an S bend at the bottom and a 30 speed limit but my Land Rover will climb this hill easily in top.
Its Wolf wheels are bronze green, looks better and Defender doors too so not one for the purists/rivet counters.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ACR109Series2.5 wrote:
'drug-dealer's pram'

Laughing
ACR109Series2.5
Never Shuts Up!!
Never Shuts Up!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

The 2.5 is a very good engine.

So you're a fan. Yup, grossly under-rated, sewing-machine quiet and gives a leafer the pep it misses in 2.25 form.

Likeley I'm preaching to the converted, but best of all, were dirt cheap. One of those conversions that truly does 'just plop in'. Up until a 2-3 years back you couldn't give them away. Not now, the heathens have seen the light.

I highly recommend breathing on it a little, and gassing it...

The ACR Powerplus kit is mis-understood by the blinkered. ACR are pretty poor at explaining what they sell. Peak power is up by about 150rpm, but you don't notice it, it's a long-stoke 5MB engine. Few of us drive over 3000rpm, so in real-world conditions, yes there's more up top, but that means, the bottom and middle gets a heap more grunt too.

Thus at the same throttle, with an ACR kit, you'll leave a stock 2.5 for dust. Makes it far more driveable. Get one.

Quote:
Wolf wheels are bronze green... and Defender doors

I see it now. Comes with a ‘what rivers thou must have crossed; what dragon’s hath slain, rest thou weary bones, roof-rack?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A galvanized bulkhead takes precedence over any engine mods. The engine is running well enough for my use.
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know a Land Rover restorer and have seen his work - which is absolutely excellent. Real concourse stuff. It is nice to see restoration when it is done properly.
Now back in the real world of working Land Rovers - I see nothing wrong with modifying and improving provided that it is done well and with some thought. It's quite sad to see botch jobs anyway. Land Rover themselves started out with a concept and improved it over time, so why shouldn't owners do the same thing. Radial tyres are better than crossplies - no question. Radials were not available at the time, but fitting them is a sensible upgrade. Better lights and a few home comforts don't go amiss either. I don't see any of this as being wrong. It's the owners choice.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)

Land Rovers don't have dents - They have battle scars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Post photos of your beloved Land Rover here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum