Brexit!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a disagreement with a colleague this week over Brexit. He believes we should be having the peopleís vote including another in/out question. I disagreed, saying how many chances do you have at a referendum until you accept the outcome??? Apparently Iím undemocratic! Surprised

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Talking of democracy, when was the vote allowing Brussels to use our taxes to go into the illegal people trafficking business, because I must have missed that one?
Slow Progress
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's because they don't need to vote or let anyone else vote on it. Remember 'bureaucrats' k(no)w best.

If you are nervous about retaining your job for life, and don't think people should be allowed to make decisions for themselves, then all you have to do is rig the system so it makes people feel like they are in a democracy, whilst slowly removing all meaningful power from their control... it's a bit like the political version of autonomous driving, you just sit in the chair and get taken for a ride, the EUautonomous car decides the route, the speed, and ultimately the destination.......sit back and enjoy the ride (and if you don't enjoy it, sit back, shut up and do as you are told!)

The alternative would be akin to landrover ownership, occasional breakdowns, marking your territory, progressing slowly but doggedly, and as you get wiser through ownership you know your limitations and foibles, and learn the best way to navigate through rough terrain.

1976 series 3 109" station wagon 6 cylinder.....the one which has a drink problem!
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The destination is extermination, via hell, disguised as 'safety'. Every day the Matrix comes a step closer. Philip K. Dick was the true prophet. There is no safe option in life.
frank
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never envisaged this forum having a political section.
All I know about politics is my parents house was always being used for Labour party meetings,
But i am sick of Brexit, nobody is working for the country only their own salaries
I saw a posting on Facebook and it said "in the local elections in May, vote for anyone but the Labour or conservatives" i think this is a great idea.

I also think that ALL politicians just tell lies and con people, in Cannock a umber of years ago a Senior person in one party said he had walked all the way in a carnival procession, no he had not i saw him get in a car and then park and rejoin the carnival
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow Progress
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wasnít that in Brewster Millions??

1976 series 3 109" station wagon 6 cylinder.....the one which has a drink problem!
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No idea - think I came across it in a YouTube video of the original of the 1905 song Nobody sung by Bert Williams
Slow Progress
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see Bercow has done it again, the man is the absolute opposite of impartial. It doesn't matter which way anyone voted, it's the principle of the office he holds!

If it goes to a 2nd vote I wonder how it'll turn out, and I wonder if the Tories or Labor will run a general election campaign on leaving??

Frank if I thought it was possible to take one of the parties over via their membership and get them to be more reasonable, and pro-active for the country I wouldn't hesitate to join. That leaves me with no choices......although I seem to recall the monkey mascot in Hartlepool that got elected actually turned out pretty well

Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A second vote would make a mockery of the democratic machine. If a second vote resulted in a swing towards 'remain' then there would be loud voices asking what the point was in the first vote. Sadly, we are at the mercy of 650 selfish people, most of which refuse to carry out the remit given to them by 17 million voters in 2016. Absolute shambles!

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it"

(or similar) Mark Twain/Emma Goldman/Robert S. Borden/Philip Berrigan - take your pick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: