New forum member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markagj
Newcomer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: New forum member Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've recently joined the forum (thanks Frank) as i intend to make my 1981 series 3 station wagon roadworthy, and get it through an MOT.
I had to move it into my Dad's garage a couple of years ago, where it has remained due to lack of time for various reasons.
The only major problem i'm aware of, is it will probably need a gearbox overhaul, as the stick is very sloppy and, although they're all there, they are hard to find.May also need some work to the footwells as they've been covered by checker plate by a PO.

Regards,
Mark.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi markagj,

Welcome to the club and forum!

Lots of help and advice on here, just ask. No question is a silly one.

Donít forget some pics of the project too.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A good year for Station Wagons Smile

Welcome and all the best with it.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome Mark, just ask. Someone will know the answer and as Rich says, no question on this forum is ever a silly one. We're here to help.
Petrol or diesel, SWB or LWB?
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Mark, nice to meecha mate Smile

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Markagj
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the warm welcome chaps.

Alan - itís a 2.25 petrol...the owner before me put a Weber carb on it, in an attempt to get better mpg - but after reading a thread on here, iíve Dug out what I believe is the original carb (Zenith 36IV). Itís in a slightly sorry state, so iíve sent Burlen a message over the weekend to get an estimate on a rebuild.

Mark.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mark, I've had 4 carburettors rebuilt by Burlen and the cost was about £320 each including VAT. The first one was fitted nearly 10 years ago and once set up has never needed adjustment and is still performing excellently. Webers have a smaller choke so more throttle is needed to get anywhere.
I'm lucky because I was able to go to Burlen on the bus for free and the stop is right outside their entrance.
It's approximately 6 weeks wait.
websnail
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum.
As others have said, ask any questions you want Smile

1972 88" Hard top with windows (Daisy)

Previously my daily drives:
109" Series three station wagon
110" Hard top with windows
109" FFR pick up, 24 volt
Markagj
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apologies for the double post -I tried to edit the first one.

Thanks for that information Alan, it gives me some indication as to cost etc.

Today I received an e-mailed response from a representative of Burlen to my questions mentioned earlier in this thread.He states that they still offer a restoration service for SU, Zenith Stromberg CD carburettors, but they no longer offer restoration for OTHER Zenith carbs???
I donít understand that they offer restoration for Zenith etc, but donít restore OTHER Zenith.
I replied, asking him to clarify his response - but he didnít get back to me.Iíll either call them for a clear explanation, or look elsewhere I guess.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It could mean that only 36IV's can be restored as there were many other types of Zeniths.
Strangely enough the first 36IV I had rebuilt which is still in use has Solex stamped on it. The 3 spares are Zeniths.
I've had the SU's on my MGB GT rebuilt by Burlen as well and in my opinion they are the best.
I recently found a Zenith 36IV that needs a rebuild so I might get that done soon.
I've deleted the first of your duplicate postings Mark. If you want to delete your posting at the top by the Edit box is a cross which is to delete.
Markagj
Newcomer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had another response from Burlen.It again states that They offer a restoration service for SU and Zenith Stromberg CD carburetters only, and have rebuild kits for other Zenith models but no longer offer a restoration service for the other models.

Has anyone rebuilt a 36IV themselves using a kit from Burlen? is it realistically do-able? or are there other recommended carb rebuild companies out there that could competently restore one?

I've never taken a carb apart before so i'm not familiar with the process, but i would be willing to have a go at it, given that there are good tutorials available.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are pitfalls in dismantling a 36IV. The top casting is prone to warping when separated which, surprisingly, causes a rich mixture. I tried it years ago to fit a new needle and float assembly but never tried a full rebuild. The spindle bearings wear and let in air and rebushing is not for the faint hearted as very accurate reaming is needed to ensure they line up. Burlen have all the original tooling to overcome the aforementioned problems as they bought out Solex UK as well as SU.
Don't even think about buying one of those Zenith copies for about £50. From bitter experience they are absolute rubbish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Introduce yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: