Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 208, 209, 210 ... 226, 227, 228  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bet he felt rubbish afterwards.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
2 ways I made myself unpopular today (easy to achieve.)
1) Tuning the MG.
This involved getting it started and sorting out the rough running which meant letting the engine warm up with the occasional high revs which sent the rev counter needle into the red zone. Once it would tick over I left it running to let the electric fan kick in then leave it running until the fan shuts off. This is unpopular with the neighbour even though the car is in the garage. I've realized why, despite fitting the distributor in the clamp with the mark on the.
distributor aligned with the gap in the clamp, the ignition was too advanced. I had to change the clamp because the previous one was distorted and the gap in the replacement one is in a slightly different position.
2) A few days ago I rubbished the nasty Chinese MG's on the MGB Register Forum. Yesterday there was a reply asking if I had driven an MG thingy and this person had one and said it was great to drive with its 1itre 3 cylinder engine with 6 speed automatic transmission.
I replied that was a come down and for that sort of money I could get a half decent MGC GT (3 litres, 6 cylinders, 4 speed manual gearbox with overdrive on 3rd and top so 6 speeds. I did resist the temptation to add that my mate's Iseki mimi tractor has a 3 cylinder engine. How can a 3 cylinder 1 litre car with 6 speed automatic transmission be great to drive?
I await the response.
While I was waiting to cross the road on this morning's dog walk, a Range Rover Evoque nearly rear ended a car that had stopped because the car in front was turning right. Could have been interesting
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
I did resist the temptation to add that my mate's Iseki mimi tractor has a 3 cylinder engine.

Funny you should say that - not that I know anything about it but, as I read your post, I was sarcastically wondering if some ride-on lawn mowers didn't come with a better spec than that MG.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't mention that either Geoff.
I suspect I'll be drummed out of the MG Car Club for heresy. There a still diehards who support the nasty Chinese junk just because it wears an MG badge. There's one local to me,it's just another heap of modern faceless rubbish.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan, we have a 3 cylinder 1.0l petrol engine car - it's a little Suzuki Swift. Only had it for a month or so, but it's a great little drive. 110bhp in a car that weighs less than a metric tonne - Swift by name and swift by nature Smile

1975 200TDI Series 3 - Henry
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:

Da Daaaa! thank you folks, we're here all week!

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yule wrote:
Alan, we have a 3 cylinder 1.0l petrol engine car - it's a little Suzuki Swift. Only had it for a month or so, but it's a great little drive. 110bhp in a car that weighs less than a metric tonne - Swift by name and swift by nature Smile

I presume to get that power it must be turbocharged.
Yule
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
Yule wrote:

I presume to get that power it must be turbocharged.

Yes it is turbocharged. Tiny bit of lag when you put your foot down but nowhere near as bad as cars from yonder years.

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can remember the good old days when Downton Engineering could get that power out of the crude BMC A Series engine without turbochargers and it was still driveable in traffic.
When the proper Mini was introduced in 1959, BMC deliberately fitted the 850cc engine to slow it down as it was feared it would be too fast with a bigger engine. Downton took a standard 850 Mini and got it to do 108mph, considerably faster than a Cooper variant yet it was still driveable in traffic.
All this was done without computers etc, just skilful engineering, a quality sadly lacking nowadays in most fields.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yule wrote:
knappster wrote:

Da Daaaa! thank you folks, we're here all week!

Glad itís appreciated. Iíll skip to another subject now. Smile

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the subject of small engined cars, we had a new Focus hire car last month. It had the three cylinder petrol engine but the third cylinder apparently only kicks in when you boot it. Not sure exactly how it works but it had a lot of poke. It was a turbo too. I was quite impressed with it despite my initial reservations. I wasnít impressed with the electronic handbrake though!

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The new James Bond film name was announced today as No Time To Die. Daniel Craigís last Bond film. Should be good. Smile

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've driven a couple of turbocharged diesel engine vans where there was a problem with the turbo.
Absolutely gutless without it.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
When the proper Mini was introduced in 1959, BMC deliberately fitted the 850cc engine to slow it down as it was feared it would be too fast with a bigger engine. Downton took a standard 850 Mini and got it to do 108mph, considerably faster than a Cooper variant yet it was still driveable in traffic.

My first car was an 850 Mini. Like most teenagers, I drove it like a maniac (I thought it was called an 850 because it would do 85 Smile ) It was stolen eventually (in Birmingham Crying or Very sad )
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
On the subject of small engined cars, we had a new Focus hire car last month. It had the three cylinder petrol engine but the third cylinder apparently only kicks in when you boot it. Not sure exactly how it works but it had a lot of poke.

I have 8 cylinders. They only kick in when I want to go somewhere. I think I know how that works, but I'm not an engineer.

Actually, from what Alan said, it seems I was fated to own vehicles that engineers thought ought to be slowed down. Well, they can try Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 208, 209, 210 ... 226, 227, 228  Next
Page 209 of 228

Jump to: