Range Rover Classic gear lever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Other Land Rovers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Range Rover Classic gear lever Reply with quote
This is a long shot but it doesn't cost anything. I've already asked this question on the Stage One forum and I intend to ask it on a Classic Range Rover forum, but I don't suppose anyone here recognises this gear lever:

Untitled by Geoff172, on Flickr

It looks rather like a Stage One lever except that it bends exactly the wrong way above the damper. I was told by someone on the Stage One forum who ought to know that it is a Range Rover lever, but there are a lot of those and I've not been able so far to find any pictures online of any that are not straight above the damper. I'm trying to identify the exact model this is for and a part number. Any suggestions/pointers welcome. (When I'm running the world, I will immediately pass a law that all vehicle parts MUST be indelibly inscribed or engraved with a part number!!! Mad )
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a RR Classic and it had a straight gear lever.

Could it be from a 101FC??? The gear lever is bent on one of those.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought the 101 gear lever had a sharper bend in it and it bends forwards towards the driver.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did think that but it is the only one close to the one in the picture.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys. The 101 FC lever is completely different and I've still not found any Range Rover lever that's not straight above the damper so far as I can see. I seem to have a talent for finding mystery objects. The last one was a purportedly Stage One front prop which turned out after much research to be from a Shorland armoured Land Rover and wouldn't fit and I didn't buy it. Before that were a couple of things I already owned kicking about in the attic, but this one I parted with money for, not paying close enough attention and relying on a clear description and definite part number, and am now trying to get it back, because it's no use to me if I can't identify it Sad
Cliff4WD
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like a stage one lever with top cranked section rotated 180

1981 Series 3 109 V8 'Stage One'
Restoration thread: https://www.lrukforums.com/threads/cliff-1981-series-3-109-v8-stage-1.248082/
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yup, that's exactly what it looks like. I posted this question on a Range Rover Classic forum and have had not a single response, and I'm beginning to think it's not a different part but is a Stage One lever that's been altered for God knows what reason.
Cliff4WD
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I trawled my RRC manual and can't find a gear change lever in it; It's LT95 The series 3 parts book says gear change lever isn't part of the gearbox. I also have an LT95 from a 110 and the lever is more or less the same as the stage 1, still an 's' bend but top section seems to be much straighter.

Restoration thread: https://www.lrukforums.com/threads/cliff-1981-series-3-109-v8-stage-1.248082/
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your interest! I understand that the levers for the Stage One LT95 and the 110 V8 LT95 are interchangeable, with the gear knob just being in a slightly different position, which ties in with what you say. Indeed both my LT95s are later replacements from the 110 V8 production run, but I am pretty sure both my levers are the original Stage One levers, because they look just like photos of other Stage One levers I have seen online. However, the person on the Stage One forum who told me they were interchangeable said the 110 lever would leave the gear knob "left and forward" of the position of a Stage One lever and knob, which doesn't tie in with what you say about the 110 lever being straighter!! It doesn't help that both the respective parts books use the identical illustration that shows both levers (with different part numbers) as dead straight from the pivot ball, which clearly isn't true. I don't suppose you could post a reasonably clear photo of your 110 lever and/or measure the exact angle of the relevant bend with a protractor?
Cliff4WD
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Couldn't find my protractor but 2 photos for you.

My stage 1 lever:

The 110 lever:

As you can see, the 110 is almost straight with only a slight crank. Could be heated and bent to suit.

Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great photos! Many thanks. The bend below the damper also looks slightly less on the 110 version to me, or is that just the way it looks in the photo? (Hope you didn't have to remove your gearboxes to get these pics for me! Smile )
Cliff4WD
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Think you're right, angles differ a bit.

Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I got my money back, so my question is academic now. I did also post the question on a Range Rover Classic forum - it got 115 views and 1 reply but no one recognised it as a particular Range Rover one, the one reply saying "RR ones tended to be straight". I'm inclined to think it's a Stage One lever that's been modified by someone, possibly to clear a modified dash. If I'd not returned it, I would have considered 'unmodifying it'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Other Land Rovers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: