Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 389, 390, 391  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was used to sliding windows on my Series 3 but the wind-up windows on my 90 were a revelation! Proper luxury! Smile

Geoff, youíre right about things not being built to last, itís all about recyclability. Take a look at the amount of relatively new items in the electrical skip at your local tip when you next go. Nothing lasts these days. Rolling Eyes

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have sliding windows yet to drive with them do they whistle like the busses i used to drive?
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
They can fall out if the runners have corroded.
Although I have an SWB, I can get my long reach hedge cutter in the back and my big strimmer. They fit diagonally (one at a time though)
I bet some of the electrical items in the skip at the tip are in working order. The Dyson charger I accidentally threw out certainly was.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funny, the sliding windows are one of the charms of Land Rovers that I have always loved, along with the front air vents. I have been gradually replacing all my door tops with all-alloy ones, so corroding runners is not such a problem (and I have some of Frank's plastic runners for the rear opening windows, if I ever get around to fitting it) And both panes on the alloy door tops slide, so I am doubly happy! Smile

This from my morning paper: "Extending the lifespan of smartphones and other electronics by just one year would save as much carbon emissions as taking two million cars off the road each year a study has found." Try applying that to cars.

Last edited by Geoff2 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
Although I have an SWB, I can get my long reach hedge cutter in the back and my big strimmer. They fit diagonally (one at a time though)

Alan, I had to get my Dori mower in the back of mine once - I didn't even have to take the handle off.
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The front vents air con was one of the charms I dell in love with many years ago
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In most cases I'd say that the electronic gadgets don't wear out, they're replaced with the latest gizmo while still in perfect working order. My Nokia phone is over 4 years old, it still works fine and all of my forum postings are done with it, so much easier than waking the laptop up. I dread the time when the phone does expire and I have to get to grips with a new one which will be much more sophisticated.
Yes Geoff I really like the air conditioning on my Series 3.
The blade of the hedge trimmer folds back parallel to the shaft and the strimmer handlebars turn 90 degrees parallel to the shaft for transport. The mowers will go in individually with the handles folded down.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geoff2 wrote:
This from my morning paper: "Extending the lifespan of smartphones and other electronics by just one year would save as much carbon emissions as taking two million cars off the road each year a study has found." Try applying that to cars.

Itís easier to blame the motorist for global warming. Sorry, climate change. Global warming is so yesterday! Rolling Eyes

knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didnít mind the sliding windows on the Series 3, especially the ex-military alloy door tops. Cool I do like the front vents too. Itís a pity these were removed from later models. Rolling Eyes

Cliff4WD
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
Geoff2 wrote:

Itís easier to blame the motorist for global warming. Sorry, climate change. Global warming is so yesterday! Rolling Eyes

Never mind the unimaginable bytes of data being stored up up in data warehouses all over the world, on servers that generate phenomenal amounts of heat that have to be cooled, consuming mind boggling quantities of energy. Energy that has to generated by some pretty environmentally unfriendly methods. The generation that purports to care about the planet would do well to abandon quite unnecessary smart phones, etc., and stop the spread of silly tweeting, instagraming, and all other forms of pointless environmentally damaging nonsense (if you believe that anthropological climate change is real that is).

1981 Series 3 109 V8 'Stage One'
Restoration thread: https://www.lrukforums.com/threads/cliff-1981-series-3-109-v8-stage-1.248082/
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's the easiest thing to blame the motorist but aren't electric car batteries made from rare ores? They're certainly not the standard lead acid type.
To become carbon neutral every oxygen breathing form of life would have to be exterminated. My opinion of climate change is too controversial to post.
Shall we see you at Newbury Cliff?
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
theoretically the electric car is no more efficient than the diesel or petrol cars, yes its low power but that power is still coming from coal power stations which burn fossil fuels, so until we stop burning in power stations we are still in that viscous circle
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
John, you sound like a convert to the new Defender. Smile

I'm neither 'for' it or 'against' it, but I do appreciate what Land Rover are doing. Always innovating. Should they fail to do this (and they do it well) they would end up being an ex manufacturer.

I love old Land Rovers and old classic cars, but I would never contemplate running one commercially as a daily driver. They are what they are - great old vehicles that bands of enthusiasts like us maintain and preserve. That shouldn't prevent us from also making use of the latest ideas and technology.
My only proviso is that we should use technology and new ideas for good and useful purposes. As well as the negatives of modern life there are wonderful things that can now be done that weren't even dreamt of just a few years ago.

Discovery TD5 ES Auto.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)

Land Rovers don't have dents - They have battle scars.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's no fun in driving a modern vehicle. I used to drive a Sprinter for deliveries. It was a nice enough vehicle but boring to drive. The only time it was challenging was when one van had a turbo problem. It was nothing like driving a conventional diesel engine vehicle. There was no power below 3,000 rpm and at 4,000 the governors cut in. It just proves that without the turbo there was very limited power, and no low down torque whatsoever.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Electric and even hybrid cars arenít the solution to climate change that people think they are. Their lifespan is nothing like that of what we consider classic cars. And then they have to be recycled, with their large batteries. Climate change is a mix of natural change and human influence in my opinion. However, the car plays a very small part. Our desire for all things technological causes demand on electricity production and manufacturing. Developing countries are still producing large amounts of carbon. Despite this, the car gets the blame.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 389, 390, 391  Next
Page 230 of 391

Jump to: