Tumbleweed................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 241, 242, 243 ... 389, 390, 391  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had to use the Land Rover to collect my big strimmer today and refuel for Newbury. No problem getting the wheel clamp off but not easy replacing it this time. I'd parked the Land Rover in a different position on the drive and the wheel was over a piece of crumbling concrete and not on a level surface. I realized it after I managed to fit the clamp. It's very heavy and skinned knuckles and Superglue had to be used.
I saw the 110 green hard top with side windows again today and the dark blue 110 Station Wagon again. The latter is a prefix T and tatty on overwide wheels and fitted with a snorkel. The nearside rear side door was a different shade of blue from the rest of the vehicle.

Last edited by Alan Drover on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Itís fair to say that thereís not much following for The Apprentice here then! I watch it and I like marmite! Smile

The 90 got used for work today. One of the guys at work reminisced about using them in the army. Smile

I saw three 110ís on the journey home and got a wave off of all three, including a very enthusiastic wave from the driver of a replica Camel Trophy 110 on the A46 near Gloucester. Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was an interesting program on ITV 7.30pm tonight about car insurance fraud and ghost insurance brokers.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was speaking to a colleague earlier who was involved in what looks like an insurance scam accident. A guy braked suddenly in front of her her on a dual carriageway for no reason. Needless to say, the claim went against her and he had a payout.

Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a very common scam Rich.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, Iíve been a victim myself... Sad Rolling Eyes

Cliff4WD
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If an insurance scammer brakes suddenly in front of you causing a collision, what is the legal position of their bogus claim if you knock seven bells out of them first? Shocked Rolling Eyes

1981 Series 3 109 V8 'Stage One'
Restoration thread: https://www.lrukforums.com/threads/cliff-1981-series-3-109-v8-stage-1.248082/
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
knappster wrote:
Yes, Iíve been a victim myself... Sad Rolling Eyes

Nearly happened to me some years ago. I was working for the local council and I was driving a pick up. On a roundabout in Andover the car in front stopped suddenly even though the exit was clear. I hit the brakes and missed it. The rear of the car was a bit battered so the driver had been successful previously.
Cliff, you'd be done for assault.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, are you getting sick of that wheel clamp yet, Alan? Talking of bother, I don't want the added bother of a dash cam but with all these insurance scams I'm beginning to wonder if it's safe to take to the roads anymore without one.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yule wrote:
Geoff2 wrote:
Yule wrote:
Geoff2 wrote:
A Freelander? - you are joking. I'm just an inveterate ebay watcher and any pre-production model is of interest value-wise, and otherwise - if it's a Land Rover product.

Nothing wrong with Freelanders. We have had a few in the family over the years and have had no problems with them at all. Best one was a 2.5 V6 in white - belonged to my dad, who got a little upset when we put black UN stickers on the side Smile

I can use a bit more space in a vehicle, Paul (and I like a bit more steel around me)

Listing can't make up it's mind if it's done 86k or 89k miles. But either in 22 years? Says it only covered 600 miles in first 6 years as an original press launch car and "featured in many shows". Cf my green Stage 1 which was a Land Rover press/demonstrator vehicle for just 2 years, then transferred to BL Heritage at Studley Castle who only 2 years later fitted a new engine and gearbox at 80k miles. Either it was towed to all those shows or it's been around the clock. Either way, I'm not sure I'm impressed. At time of writing it hasn't attracted any bids and the auction ends tomorrow. Says £1,000 spent on engine last year - are we supposed to be impressed? I'd prefer to know what exactly on if I were considering it (which I'm definitely not Smile )

So, as Rich said - did you get it Geoff?

So you think I doth protest too much?
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spotted a utility Station Wagon Defender in Lincolnshire yesterday. Rather more exciting, but not exactly in a good way, on the Leicester ring road a police car came down a slip road and cut right in front of us, followed almost immediately by another which did exactly the same, although even more hair-raisingly. They then formed up abreast blocking the carriageway and slowed down to about 5mph, rapidly causing a tailback on the busy ring road that stretched back as far as the eye could see in my rear view mirror. This went on for about 5 minutes while we crawled along directly behind them wondering what kind of incident had occurred up ahead somewhere. Then suddenly as if out of nowhere a black sports saloon car with tinted windows travelling at about 60mph cut between me and the white van that was crawling along next to me and between the two police cars in front followed by two more police cars in rapid succession pursuing him. It was an incredible piece of driving - they must have driven at that speed between two lanes of traffic for God knows what distance! At least one of the police cars in front of us also took off after the black car - it all happened so fast I am still trying to piece together in my mind exactly what happened, but they all seemed to come to a halt far ahead so I think they must have caught him, though all were gone by the time we reached that point. It all seemed very exciting at the time but with hindsight I am thinking how it could so easily have had a very different and unpleasant outcome.
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah people like that cause accidents, down south near hear most police chases end up the criminal ditching the car or crashing as our road where i live are narrow and windy
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, Geoff. I'm not fed up with the wheel clamp. However I would be extremely fed up if my Land Rover went walkies.
I've noticed something extremely disturbing recently. From a distance the front end and grill of a D***a D****r looks very similar to that of the latest Discovery. That illusion doesn't last long though. I wonder if it was done deliberately so that it would appear that it was a far classier vehicle than the pile of cheap and nasty Romanian junk that it really is.
One Land Rover seen today. It was a 90 pick up with a three quarter tilt and it was towing a horse box.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Friday 15th November F****r C*******s is coming to town to switch on the C*******s light.
How underwhelming. Mrs. D and I will be staying at home.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thatís a rolling block followed by a T-PAC Geoff. Itís the safest way to stop a car. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 241, 242, 243 ... 389, 390, 391  Next
Page 242 of 391

Jump to: