Fuelish question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slow Progress
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Fuelish question Reply with quote
Hi All,

Two questions

1- due to ethanol increasing in fuel, do we need to upgrade hoses or anything else to reduce fire risks?

2. Is it true I can’t run my 6 pot on super unleaded due to the aluminium head?, not planning on it but probably useful to know just in case

1976 series 3 109" station wagon 6 cylinder.....the one which has a drink problem!
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slow Progress. You can buy ethanol proof rubber petrol pipes. I got mine from Burlen in Salisbury but you should be able to get it locally.
Apparently the 6 pot can't be converted to unleaded, presumably because the exhaust valves are in the block. Castrol Valvemaster is reckoned to be a good lead substitute additive but don't go for the quack remedies of pellets etc that you put in the tank. They're still about and absolutely no use whatsoever.
I don't know why hardened valve seats can't be fitted to the block but it's not been done to my knowledge so there must be a reason why. You should always use an unleaded additive as with your engine the exhaust valve seats could be damaged.
Hope this helps.
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pretty well right Mr Drover. In fact, the amount of ethanol currently put in petrol is actually quite small, so it shouldn't cause any major problems. Unleaded fuel of any kind is not going to do your engine a lot of good as it has no lead sulphate. This will eventually lead to valve seat recession - It does take a while, but it is not reversible - so prevention is better than cure. Unleaded petrol also has a lot of detergents and other additives which these old engines don't like. Use of a good carb cleaner from time to time may help remove some of the gunk that builds up inside carbs etc.
There is a valve saver system available which is actually aimed at LPG users, but is very good for older carb engines. It consists of a small additive reservoir which drip feeds a valve lubricant into the air intake.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)

Land Rovers don't have dents - They have battle scars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: