Rear door lock replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robyorks
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Rear door lock replacement Reply with quote
Afternoon, hope you are all keeping well.
Having a bit of a mare trying to replace the lock in the back door latch, hoping someone has a magic wand I could borrow.
So. Bought new lock set, drilled out the old one ([Censored]) push in the new one till the springy nib clicks in and lo, it's standing 10mm proud of the housing.
I have a photo of the offending article but am currently on the phone sat in the boot scratching my head. Bald patch appearing rapidly. Please help![/img]
frank
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
First Is the lock the same size?
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you get all the old lock out of the barrel?
Section 2H 18 in the parts list shows the barrel lock as part number 320609. The lock itself is not shown separately.
Where did you get the new lock from?
robyorks
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys.
The locks are Britpart, bought a full set so as to have one set of keys for it.
I managed to remove all the old lock with the help of the pillar drill.
I think what a previous owner has done is 'de-lock' the back door and in doing so, ground off half of the tube that carries the lock barrel. There is no hole in the door where the lock should be.
Looks like I'm shopping for another door handle!!
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hah! - see my previous recent comments elsewhere about previous owners! Mad Rolling Eyes
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i can stand and vouch for the mysteries of the previous owner many have made me head scratch
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
robyorks, the hole for the lock barrel is not in the door but in the handle. See if you can get 320609 which fits into the hole in the handle.
Have a look at section 2H 18 in the parts list.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan, it's a 1987 90 - should have anti-burst locks like my Stage Ones, which do have a hole in the door for the key barrel - whether that makes any difference to your advice I don't know, 'cos I can't really understand what the problem is here. If it's a replacement door, it might have come without the hole for the barrel cut in the door. 320609 is for Series 3. I think what he needs might be MTC6504 but I'm not sure as my 110 Parts Book goes to 1986 only.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/parts/MTC6504

Maybe that's what he's got already anyway?

See suppliers are listing MTC6504 as for Series 3 and Defender, so presumably no difference. So I don't know Confused

Last edited by Geoff2 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
morson wrote:
i can stand and vouch for the mysteries of the previous owner many have made me head scratch

Morson, that’s a comment we can all relate to!

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought it was a Series 3, should have checked back.
Back to the funny farm.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe makes no difference and that isn't the problem - I edited my post above.
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Section 27 01 in the optional parts list shows the anti burst Series 3 locks. The rear door lock is 395037 and the barrel lock which is integral with the handle is 395142 except station wagon and 395056 for the station wagon, so it's a different set up from the 90 but the parts list is January 1977 so obviously doesn't cover the Stage 1. Section 2H 18 in the main parts catalogue doesn't show an anti burst lock but interestingly the handle and lock mechanism and door assembly for the V8 have different part numbers from the standard ones but the lock is still shown as integral with the handle. This list is dated 1986.
It appears that someone has fitted a Series door.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan, just to clarify, all these door locks are integral with the handle, in that the door is locked by preventing the handle being lifted - it's just that the barrel is differently positioned on the anti-burst locks, necessitating a separate hole in the standard Land Rover doors for it. I agree that it appears that someone has fitted an earlier door, or a generic pattern one without the extra hole like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bearmach-Land-Rover-Glazed-Rear-Back-Safari-Door-90-110-Defender-Series-II-III-3/142175829807?hash=item211a56ff2f:g:w9oAAOSwUdlWb1k4

and butchered the anti-burst lock to make it fit rather than cut the extra hole needed - the lock could still be operated from the inside but not from outside (one less for the low-lifes to trash with the inevitable screwdriver! - see below) It appears robyorks needs a complete new handle/lock and to cut the necessary hole for it - I'd also recommend part number 347151 to cover any rough edge:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233127369136

My optional parts book is later than yours (September 1988) but has the same part numbers. Land Rover known for changing part numbers from one model to another without any real/great difference in the part I think, but I'm pretty sure most of these different part numbers within models relate purely to the number of matching barrels supplied with each number. Many years ago, before I was buying parts online, some scumbag trashed all 3 barrels on my green Stage One's anti-burst locks one evening while it was parked in Leicester city centre (of course, where else?) - I got replacement key set and barrels from my local independent Land Rover parts supplier and my recollection is that something on the packaging indicated they were for Series 2, which I queried and was told they were all the same - anyway, they've worked fine for well over a decade now.

I think the lock/handle robyorks wants is MUC1030:

https://www.lrworkshop.com/parts/MUC1030

This is different from the earlier anti-burst locks on my Stage Ones (which are like the ones in the optional parts book). Some suppliers show it superseded by STC2873 but that appears to be quite different and MUC1030 is still available.

395037 shown in the Series 3 parts book for the 109V8 rear door is the same number shown in the optional parts book for the anti-burst rear and driver's door, which suggests the anti-burst lock was only fitted as standard to the rear door of the Stage Ones originally (passenger door had a corresponding one, as they are handed) - or that the Series 3 parts book is wrong! (heaven forbid!! Smile )
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff. I'm not familiar with the anti burst locks but it explains why the part numbers for V8 rear door panels and handle mechanism are different from the standard ones.
Something else learned from the forum.
robyorks
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geoff has it spot on.
The rear door skin doesn't have a hole in it for the lock to fit so they must have ground the top off the receiver. I am not all THAT bothered apart from the bit when I have to clamber over the seats into the back to open the damn door, lol!
Just about to head down to my friendly local landrover man, see if he has one on the shelf!

Rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // HELP All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum