Brass Barrel Nuts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Modifications, Tips 'n' Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Brass Barrel Nuts. Reply with quote
I'll start this thread off.
One of the problems with Land Rovers is removing the exhaust down pipe from the exhaust manifold as invariably the manifold studs shear. I found a way round this problem, brass barrel nuts. I bought them originally for the MGB GT as they make removing the manifolds from the cylinder head much easier due to the extra length. They were used by British Leyland Special Tuning for their race cars. I bought mine from the MG Owners' Club.
By accident I discovered they fit the exhaust manifold studs on Series Land Rovers with UNF threads. As the nut is much longer than the stud, the stud is covered and doesn't corrode.
I imagine metric ones are available too.
Of course, new studs would be needed in the manifold to be of any benefit.
Removing the nuts from underneath is much easier because of their extra length and there's a clean thread on the stud.
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No pun, Alan! Smile

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got mine here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QTY-10-5-16-UNF-DEEP-MANIFOLD-NUTS-BRASS-FREE-P-P-TO-UK/323966364906?hash=item4b6de66cea:g:NY4AAOSwQTVV-WOk

(They were £3 cheaper for the 10 just a year ago!)
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought mine last century when the MGOC had just started selling them.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I first bought some back in the 1990s too, for my first Land Rover, from and at the suggestion of Martin Deacon of AMD out at Merrylees, where in pre-internet days when I was first getting into Land Rovers I used to enjoy a drive out through the countryside to buy bits, and free advice and pleasant Land Rover chat was often to be had - they used to do my welding for a few years too, til their welder left. I had just one of theirs left when I chanced on those on ebay and decided to stock up my supply. Plug for AMD (feeling nostalgic - my loyalties shifted when I needed to find a new welder, and also I like to source parts from a wider field online now):

https://www.amdfourwheeldrive.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Modifications, Tips 'n' Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: