Tube type and Tubeless Tyres.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Tube type and Tubeless Tyres. Reply with quote
I'm continuing this debate as a new topic. When I changed the Goodyear G90's because they were over 13 years old I was offered Avon Rangemasters. I asked several times if they were suitable for tubeless application and each time told they were.
However, Geoff2 was doubtful and despite being reassured yet again that they were suitable I emailed an enquiry to Avon yesterday. I'm still awaiting a reply.
I phoned another local tyre dealer today and he was definite in his opinion that they weren't suitable. They won't suddenly deflate but will lose pressure as they don't have the sealing membrane of tubeless tyres.
I'll wait Avon's reply and confront the dealer where I bought them although I have a feeling I won't get anywhere.
I'll go to the dealer I phoned today and get G90's fitted as he can get them overnight and sell the Rangemasters. I'll have to take it on the chin but hopefully I'll get something back.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've decided to replace the Rangemasters with G90's which are tubeless so I'll contact the other tyre dealer Monday.
I don't think I'll get anything from the first tyre dealer because I did have them fitted after being reassured they were suitable. I've cleared a space in the garage and will sell them.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I received a reply from Avon tyres today. It stated that Rangemasters shouldn't be sold as tubeless. Note "shouldn't" not "mustn't" and no mention was made about my using them so all very vague.
Anyway I had already decided to replace them with G90's and Neville, the owner of the tyre business which supplied the G90's told me that there could be a problem in the event of an accident because the Avons were being used as tubeless, something which prompted me in changing the tyres.
It took time to fit the tyres to the Wolf rims as the rims are designed to allow tyres to be run at low pressure without coming off the rim so the rim seal is more pronounced and it's difficult to get the tyre over it by inflation alone and a very noisy air blaster has to be used to blast air into the tyre while it's being inflated at the same time.
The wheelclamp fits better.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the distinction between 'shouldn't' and 'mustn't' only reflects the fact that Avon are in no position to dictate to dealers what they do. They can only advise and that and the tyres being marked tube-type is sufficient to cover their liability, which is all they're concerned with. I do think their website could be clearer and then more suppliers' websites might be also, although I don't think there's any excuse for the fitter - I think you've let them off light. I wouldn't even want to think what an insurance company would do with it in the event of a bad accident.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had Avon said "mustn't", I would have been in a much stronger position. There was never any way the tyre would come off the rim because the Wolf rims are designed to allow tyre pressures to be as low as 12psi.
However, I didn't feel like getting into any arguments after what's happened recently. I made a wrong call by accepting it was ok. The Avon website is very vague too.
G90's now on and I'm selling the Avons.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm no expert (everything to do with cars - and indeed just everything! - always seems to be more complicated than I think it's going to be) and I agree that sometimes it's just not worth getting into a dispute over something - life's too short.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a word with the tyre depot that supplied the Avons after I'd refuelled the Land Rover at the filling station where the tyre place is. He said the supplier had assured him the Avons were suitable for tubeless use but he'll tell them what Avon said. I told him I had replaced them with G90's because there are few 7.50x16 tyres around and I had to get them elsewhere as he couldn't get them. I said I still had the Avons but no mention of any refund and I didn't push it as I had accepted them.
Lesson learnt.
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alan Drover wrote:
He said the supplier had assured him the Avons were suitable for tubeless use but he'll tell them what Avon said.

Passing the buck.
Alan Drover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geoff2 wrote:
Alan Drover wrote:
He said the supplier had assured him the Avons were suitable for tubeless use but he'll tell them what Avon said.

Passing the buck.

Agreed. I've sold the tyres but at a hefty loss but it was what I expected I'd get. They're being collected next week. At least they'll be out of the way. It's no good hanging on hoping for a better deal.
Gaoler109
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just bought an Avon Rangemaster for the spare, my tyre guy said it requires a tube so fitted one...
Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your spare wheel is an original Series 3 rim, as you said it was, your wheel requires a tube, and a tube-type tyre like the Rangemaster or at least a dual-type tyre like my Michelin XZLs (my spares are still on original wheels with tubes)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: