Defender restoration and rebuilding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas5
Newcomer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Defender restoration and rebuilding Reply with quote
My son lives in Whitefish, Montana USA and owns a 1983 Defender 110 w/200tdi. He would like to have it rebuilt. Prices from US rebuilders are ludicrous. I've suggested he ship it to the UK for rebuilding owing to craftsmanship and quality parts availability. Can anyone recommend a reliable rebuilder? He's not looking for show quality, but instead something that can used as a daily driver on occasion.
Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Douglas Muir
Tallahassee, Florida USA
dougm6231@gmail.com
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Douglas,

I can’t recommend anyone in particular, there are lots around so some google research with reviews is the best bet. It’s difficult though as they’ll likely want to see the vehicle to get an idea of the extent of the work. If you’re looking at a new chassis, use a company that uses either Richards or Marsland Chassis. There are others but they’re not as good.

There are companies in the US who will do the work, and from the write ups on YouTube etc, their work looks good. Factor the shipping against the cost of the work.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morning Douglas.
I agree with Rich. In addition to shipping costs there will be possible import duties here and maybe when it's re imported to the USA as well as the inevitable time delaying bureaucracy.Take time and ask around about US restorers and have a look at any on line reviews. These aren't always reliable but should give you a good idea of what is the best for your son's requirements.
Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // 90 & 110 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: