(Very) rusted brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: (Very) rusted brakes Reply with quote
Another question for you all.

I have acquired a pair of axles for my next project (TLS front brakes)

The brake drums on the front axle are very rusted into place. I can't get any movement on the adjusters either.

I've drowned the drum in WD40 in the hope that this might free up some of the stuck components. If this fails to get any movement with judicious application of the calibrated weight adjustment tool, could I have suggestions for what my next step would be.

The axles look in generally good condition, but appear to have been stored outdoors for a while.

Thanks in advance.

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try heating the drums. The adjusters should be available as they are bolted to the backplate but best check before you start applying Land Rover special tool number 2 (an even bigger hammer.)
I reckon you'll have to replace the drums anyway because they'll be badly corroded inside so it might be worth considering sacrificing them and fit new ones.
morson
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
my drum brakes were very stubborn to remove i hit with a hammer in clock formation 12, 6, 3, 9 etc several times then prised it slowly levering in opposing directions and they came off. it was one of those jobs where it wasn hard just time consuming
Dave88
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 for lots of heat and tapping. I have a huge hard rubber hammer which is good for this job. As it's rubber I can hit metal things really hard as with metal hammers on metal there is always the danger of cast iron or brittle metal cracking - or sparks, or worse.
Shocked
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies.

A combination of Plus Gas (recommended by a friend) and application of increasing ratio calibrated weight adjustment tools (b big hammers) the drums came off.

They are pretty much unusable, and the cost to have them reground is the same as a new genuine pair... They're on order, together with snail cams and adjuster screws. All coming together progressively...

Lock down (though I was working for all of it too) certainly has got me doing stuff to the Rover again...

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: