A small victory in the Lake District

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Green Laning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: A small victory in the Lake District Reply with quote
I’m not a guardian reader, I just copied the link from FB, but common sense wins...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/24/campaigners-lose-legal-challenge-over-lake-district-4x4-vehicles

Let’s just hope it’s use remains responsible.

Owner of a 200Tdi Disco-engined 90
websnail
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like this bit
Quote:
Plus, it said, “the use of roads such as this for off-road driving in the Lake District had developed soon after the development of the car”. As such, “it could be argued that the use of roads was part of the cultural history of the Lake District, albeit that was not in and of itself an indication that it was automatically an appropriate activity to continue into the modern era”.

1972 88" Hard top with windows (Daisy)

Previously my daily drives:
109" Series three station wagon
110" Hard top with windows
109" FFR pick up, 24 volt
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Worryingly, the anti’s crowd-funded the case, which shows the level of support they can get and that they are prepared to put their hands in their pockets to ban vehicle use.

It’s good that the LDNPA fought it. And hopefully this gives precent for similar cases brought by the anti’s.

I did smile at the comment about them driving to the Lake District then walking but complaining about vehicle use! Laughing

Geoff2
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
websnail wrote:
I like this bit
Quote:
Plus, it said, “the use of roads such as this for off-road driving in the Lake District had developed soon after the development of the car”. As such, “it could be argued that the use of roads was part of the cultural history of the Lake District, albeit that was not in and of itself an indication that it was automatically an appropriate activity to continue into the modern era”.

Yes, apparently your legal rights and freedoms now depend on 'cultural history' or, worse, some trendy (dare I say, lefty) reinterpretation of 'cultural history' (What is 'cultural history' anyway? History is history - it's what happened. 'Cultural history' is 'history' you can bend any way you want to mean anything you choose!)
knappster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was a debate on radio 2 at lunchtime today about this case. I didn’t hear it but from what I’ve read on FB, comments are less than complementary about the stance and impartiality of the BBC on the discussion. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Green Laning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum