Powerspark electronic ignition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polochop
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Powerspark electronic ignition Reply with quote
Just thought I would share this as it may be useful
I purchased an electronic ignition kit from Powerspark back in Feb 19 which included D7&R1 25D4 Lucas type distributor, HT leads and Viper dry resin coil. My series 3 was in the garage anyway so asked them to fit it but there was a fault with the module unit in the distributor, it was basically completely dead. It took 3 weeks of being told it was the garage doing something wrong and not the unit, after many emails and calls finally they agreed to replace just the module part. It then worked and seemed to be fine, since then I have hardly used it and probably done a total of 120 miles. On Sat it was fine then yesterday I couldn't get it to start, RAC came and said everything fine inc coil but the module completely dead. Contacted Simonbbc and they can't do anything as its out of warranty. I can purchase a new module but reluctant to as I feel that they can't be that reliable. So I am debating wether to return to standard distributor points etc or are there any other options people have found to be reliable?
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The best thing to do is to cut your losses, send an old 25D4 to the Distributor Doctor for rebuilding and get him to fit his Pertonix electronic ignition. The distributor retains its own mechanical and vacuum advance. I did this after a disastrous time with a 123 all singing all dancing distributor but I did get a refund. The supplier requested I return it and promptly lost it and gave me a full refund. I used that to have a spare 45D4 rebuilt by the Doctor. You tell him what vehicle it's for and any engine mods or standard and he'll do a proper job. My rebuilt distributor is going strong after about 9 years, I've never had to adjust the timing after setting it up and it's just an occasional few drops of oil to lubricate the mechanical advance.
These all electronic distributors are a waste of time and money as they're likely to be knocked up cheap in Lurgyland.
If you decide to stay with points and condenser get them from the Doctor. The ones on the general market are cheap unreliable rubbish which will let you down. Get a red rotor arm and distributor cap from him too.
polochop
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Alan, I had my doubts at the time but was taken in the the sales pitch and an article in a magazine
Alan Drover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a look at Powerspark's site. Electronic distributors for the price displayed is ominously cheap. Customer service seems to be somewhat poor too.
lowcatjo
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought one years ago, have had it fitted for years with no problems.

I wonder if it's again an issue that original stuff from them was good, now is being made cheaper elsewhere and the quality has crashed?

"I may be old, I may be slow,
but I get to places you'll never go"
BigJohn
Super user
Super user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have a quick check on the SimonBBC unit. Next to the black sender block is a very small screw connector. These have a nasty habit of shaking loose. The symptoms are complete unit failure.

Discovery TD5 ES Auto.

Member 9329 (re-joined the club)

Land Rovers don't have dents - They have battle scars.
Gaoler109
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had one fitted for years with no issues at all, the dizzy, and dry sports coil!
Gaoler109
Big Talker
Big Talker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: sent my original dizzy to the Distributor Dr for refurbishing and re-curving, am going back to points & condenser (supplied by them), and have sourced an original coil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Land Rover Club Forum Index // Series 3 Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: